diy solar

diy solar

Propane fueled Generators

Compression test it when it's hot and see what you come up with. It's probably a waste spark Ignition but still worth checking spark when it gets hot.

Yeah I keep forgetting my compression tester in town at the storage unit (property is 2 hours away). I do have a new coil / condenser, wires, and plugs on it, because I had a coil failure awhile ago. It sparks both cylinders at same time (one on compression, one on exhaust).

Maybe I'll remember my comp tester next time, good idea, was thinking that too to test it hot...

Running your trio of gens on propane is the best thing you can do for them.

They'll make less power but I can't imagine you bought inverter generators just to load them to 100% output.

Their oil will stay cleaner. Their emissions wont give you headaches and stink up your little piece of paradise.

You're a good generator dad.
I bought the Honda for incidental 15 amp use or to move around easily with a 20 lb tank. The 3500 gen can go to the multiplus if need be to power the charger for some help in bad sun days. The 9000 is really reserved to run the well to fill a large holding tank in the tool shed that then draws water and pumps it with the RV 12v system. It’s not an inverter and would not be used except for ruff snd tumble things.. saws , pumps big stuff for short duration…run time in minutes or a hour or two max at very low strain ( except a few seconds of well surge , but it’s job is coasting for my use..

I lived full time for 3 weeks on the 3500 hooked up to the 35 ft RV .. it ran everything with no prob, if you know how to pick what you run at the same time.. 13,500 btu AC stayed on most of the time and it was easy as it charged the RV batts when ever it was on and only the micro wave caused a issue with the AC and all the other stuff running , so I would kill the AC for a few min to use micro…….stove and refer mainly used propane and I could go either way for hot water heater..
practice shows up flaws before you need it ..
I have done all I can .. if they fail due to propane I will simply shoot all three with buck shot and put it on utube …
thanks for your moral support…….Jim.

Most people don’t run their generator anywhere near max capacity continuously but for solar backup where batteries are being charged running an inverter generator at nearly max capacity for extended periods of time is quite likely and potentially damaging if the unit is not cooling sufficiently.
I think it’s important to know what charge current limit is suitable for the generator you have (or spec a genset accordingly).

E.g. while my Yamaha is rated for 2.8 kW continuous I’d most likely limit output to ~1.8 kW, which equates to about 30A into the battery. So I’d set the charge controller accordingly, perhaps somewhere in the 20-30 A range so the genset can comfortably tick along well inside it’s rated capacity. I don’t need it often though. Not yet had to recharge from the genset.

Reactions: JRH
Back