diy solar

diy solar

Propane fueled Generators

Rgulack

I have 2 off grid systems with propane fueled generators and have had problems with 3 different generators (Champion 10kw, Onan 10kw, and Onan 6.5kw) due to propane lacking adequate lubricating qualities. Is anyone aware of a supplemental lubrication system using diesel or similar to mist or drip into the intake airstream?? For now my 10kw units are dual fuel, so I run them on gasoline every 4th run.

Is the problem you are seeing with the valves and/or valve seats?
For duel fuel systems its probably a good idea to run some gasoline from time to time.

Is the problem you are seeing with the valves and/or valve seats?
For duel fuel systems its probably a good idea to run some gasoline from time to time.
Yes on the valves/seats. On my 6.5 Onan it is valves sticking. It is an older twin cylinder 1800 rpm unit and propane only.

What motor oil are you using? Modern oils don’t have the heavy metals for lubrication the older systems did. Gasoline and propane are both fairly useless for lubrication.
Perhaps get some purple oil with zinc lubrication?

What motor oil are you using? Modern oils don’t have the heavy metals for lubrication the older systems did. Gasoline and propane are both fairly useless for lubrication.
Its the carbon deposits from the gasoline that seems to help the valves and seats.
At least that is what an old mechanic once told me.

Just out of curiosity, how many hours did you have on them before you had problems?

Its the carbon deposits from the gasoline that seems to help the valves and seats.
At least that is what an old mechanic once told me.
I remember this from back when I was an auto mechanic in the early 80’s it was leaded fuel that had a cooling effect on the valve seats, and without it, many valves burned, and had to be regularly turned and seated. Unleaded gas was a disaster for older valves. I bet propane has this same effect, and hardened seats would be a solution. I guess fuel additives wouldn’t work on propane…

I remember this from back when I was an auto mechanic in the early 80’s it was leaded fuel that had a cooling effect on the valve seats, and without it, many valves burned, and had to be regularly turned and seated. Unleaded gas was a disaster for older valves. I bet propane has this same effect, and hardened seats would be a solution. I guess fuel additives wouldn’t work on propane…
Perhaps water or methanol injection?
:)

Been mixing a little mystery oil in gen gas and using non ethanol regular In the newer gens and running on gas every 4th run instead of propane. For the older Onan I don’t use synthetic and will try the purple. What I was looking for was an intake oiler. Found some on the internet about 6 months ago but they have disappeared. I heard rumor the feds have cracked down on aftermarket stuff that could be emissions related??

Just out of curiosity, how many hours did you have on them before you had problems?
About 500. Then had to adjust valves. Seat and valve wear. Has improved a lot since started running on gas with a little mystery oil every 4th run.

My champion generator (model 200914) manual recommend valve adjustment @ 250 hours. I’m curious what yours recommends.

We have a Kohler propane generator and have had no issues with about a thousand hours on it, just regular service/maintenance.

If the valve clearances are tight, especially the exhaust valve, you will have problems due to the valves overheating leading to sticking guides, burnt valves, etc. When clearances are tight, the valve face is in contact with valve seat for a shorter period of time, which doesn't allow heat to transfer from the valve to the head. If the valve gets too tight, then the valve never closes all the way which leads to accelerated seat recession and valve face erosion.

I never had any issues, even with thousands of hours on Onan sets with propane.
Always ran Mobil1 Syn SAE 30W. The oil looked just as clean when it came out as it did going in and tested practically new, so I moved to extended intervals.

What oils are you running?
Done any oil analysis?

I second checking valve clearance first.
marvels mystery oil added to the oil, will help with the upper end lube. Or pick your poison, seafoam would work as well.
I'm partial to MMO. Also I run amsoil (or mobil if I'm out) in my gen fwiw. I always add mmo to my OPE fuel. but obviously not possible to add it to LP so the best you can do is a good oil and an additive if needed. as a disclosure whatever you add to the oil is going to dilute the oil.
I have yet to add MMO to my gen oil and to be honest I'd be very conservative since gensets don't have a big oil capacity to begin with.

The other main cause of sticking valves is overheating due to debris obstructing air flow under the tins. Often this is from critters building nests under there. If you live in an area with lots of mice, this can be a common problem.

I have 2 off grid systems with propane fueled generators and have had problems with 3 different generators (Champion 10kw, Onan 10kw, and Onan 6.5kw) due to propane lacking adequate lubricating qualities. Is anyone aware of a supplemental lubrication system using diesel or similar to mist or drip into the intake airstream?? For now my 10kw units are dual fuel, so I run them on gasoline every 4th run.
The problem is the low quality of the equipment, not the fuel you are using.

Run full synthetic oil and at full load for best results.

Hate to hear this. Running my Champion 9000 strictly on propane. Been a champ for 300 hours. Mobile 1. We will see. Hate to intro that gasoline smell to the shop.

Back