diy solar

diy solar

Propane only suggestion

Raven561

I am new so apologies for my lack of knowledge upfront. I live in a condo in Florida and am designing a backup plan for hurricane season. Basics I have are an Ecoflo Max 2000 and x2 220w bifacial panels. I need to have a third (forth if I can figure it out) option for charging the EF. If you are not familiar it has a fast charge option that takes about 1 1/2 hrs with A/C. I have a no brand gas generator that is way to loud, difficult to store (gas smell) and really not that efficient. I would like a suggestion for a propane only generator. The only current one I can find is made by ALP (website only no Amazon). I contacted them was told, ......."The ALP generators generate 850 running watts. 2 generators would be 1700 running watts. You say the Echo flow input shows 1800 W max. This is too much for the ALP." I thought I had a basic understanding but this made no sense to me. This was my second email and was told the same in the first one. Perhaps someone could interpret this for me. Thank you in advance. specs of generator attached)

Attachments

• alp specs.JPG
    alp specs.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I am new so apologies for my lack of knowledge upfront. I live in a condo in Florida and am designing a backup plan for hurricane season. Basics I have are an Ecoflo Max 2000 and x2 220w bifacial panels. I need to have a third (forth if I can figure it out) option for charging the EF. If you are not familiar it has a fast charge option that takes about 1 1/2 hrs with A/C. I have a no brand gas generator that is way to loud, difficult to store (gas smell) and really not that efficient. I would like a suggestion for a propane only generator. The only current one I can find is made by ALP (website only no Amazon). I contacted them was told, ......."The ALP generators generate 850 running watts. 2 generators would be 1700 running watts. You say the Echo flow input shows 1800 W max. This is too much for the ALP." I thought I had a basic understanding but this made no sense to me. This was my second email and was told the same in the first one. Perhaps someone could interpret this for me. Thank you in advance. specs of generator attached)
Dual fuel portable inverter generators are readily available they are generally 2 to 3000 watts and reasonably quiet.

I appreciate the response but because of size, noise level, and general maintenance of dual generators I just want a propane only. Yes, I could buy a dual and just use the propane but they are general large machines.

I appreciate the response but because of size, noise level, and general maintenance of dual generators I just want a propane only. Yes, I could buy a dual and just use the propane but they are general large machines.
I am unaware of any noise reduction advantage of lp only generators. An lp generator uses the same engine as a gas generator just with a slightly lower power output for the same size. The enclosed inverter generators however do have a substantial reduction in noise. My harbor freight 3500 ( 3000 continuous watts) generator produces 53 db at 20 feet. Smaller units are not necessarily quieter just easier to move and more likely to be stolen. I think Honda makes some really nice small units. It’s likely that a lp conversion kit would be available for them. I believe the smaller generators tend to not come prepped for lp because as soon as you add lp to the unit it ceases to be truly portable anymore since bringing it anywhere by hand will require multiple trips. If you plan on preparing for being out of power for more than a few days a duel fuel generator is a good idea as in an emergency gas could be siphoned out of a car to supply the generator. Lp generally requires electricity to fill tanks and you must have a supplier open to purchase it. You have to remember that if you are prepared for emergencies you may find it prudent to help your neighbors and that might require more fuel than you have planned.

Does your EcpFlo have a setting that allows you to control the max AC amps on the AC charger settings? If so, you can dial it down for a smaller generator.

I agree with Bobert about the dual fuel generators.

It will be in today but I think with the app you can adjust the wattage charge. I believe it is 100w-1800w. The output of the ALP is is 850w-1000w.
For one generator I figured it I would set it to 800w.

the really small honda units can have a LP conversion kit installed. saw that in an Engineer 775 video (guy ran two or three at a time).

You can get the kit for Honda EU series that supports dual or tri fuel. (Gas/Propane/Nat Gas)
I've had the tri fuel kit in the past, but eventually sold it and bought another gas only unit.
If you decide to go the dual/tri fuel route, max sure to pay extra for the connection that doesn't stick out from the side of the genset, it's a real PITA to deal with and is easily broken. It was a constant source of irritation.

When running on propane, the EU will max out at about 80% of the gasoline rated output. Running off of patio grill size containers gets old really fast, and you should not ever store those inside, ever. You can get larger containers for forklifts or campers and those will run for a good while, but are really hard to move around.

Having owned propane gensets and a couple of the little honda's you would really be better off just buying the Honda and running gas. It's dead simple, quiet and about as efficient as you can find.

The smaller champion dual fuels are a good value and reasonably quiet for the money. And for the high cost of echoflo stuff you could have a lot more power available for the price which might eliminate generator use much of the time

Appreciate the input. I have the Ecoflow Max and it is nothing short of awesome. The propane is just to power during rainy days (solar-x2 220w bifacial panels) and the like. The system is being used on a "as needed" basis (hurricanes) and not for camping or daily use. I will look at the champion as an option. TY

Last edited:
I went with a Champion 2500w CO with the intent of only using the propane. A word if you are looking for a Champion on any site. The pricing is crazy even within Amazon. I saved $150 for the 2500w that includes CO which has it shut of if a certain amount of chemicals are in the air. I could find no reason why it is less money. Also I tried to cancel my order with Amazon after 2 hrs. and it was denied. Never canceled an order before in 20 years. Walmart was -$40 and free delivery the next day. It is not a big deal but Amazon has been slipping. I did get my Ecoflow Max and 220w bifocals. The Max is nothing short of amazing. I charged the Max with A/C at Ecoflow's fast speed which is 1800w. It took a little less than an hour from 30% to 100% I have not tried the panels yet. Thank you to those who took the time to post.

Last edited:
I love my dual-fuel Champion 2k. Quiet, light, and does the job. Plus, Tractor Supply has parts locally.

Yes, there are better deals for price per watt but I have space usage to consider. It was a tough call but when one lives in a condo sacrifices are required.

Yes, there are better deals for price per watt but I have space usage to consider. It was a tough call but when one lives in a condo sacrifices are required.
I don't think dual fuel generators are much, if at all, bigger than their propane only counterparts. All the mechanical / internal parts are the same format, other than the gas tank, which is only a few square inches, and most of the time is buried down into the top of the generator to save space. Having a generator capable of taking gasoline would be a good thing as well. Run out of propane and borrow some gas from your vehicles, or neighbors. Gasoline is easier to come by in an emergency, for sure.

Last edited:
Run out of propane and borrow some gas from your vehicles, or neighbors. Gasoline is easier to come by in an emergency, for sure.
You say that lightly :)

Never mind that propane stores forever.

I tried to get a 500gal tank dropped but my supplier neither has any available, and when pressed the manager said they won’t drop a tank for low-use customers. (I used a bit less than 200gal since the tank was dropped last year.)

I’m trying to find a used one somewhere- they’ll fill it if I own it.

My situation is a one off. If a hurricane or blackout comes I will have some power. Is it ideal, No. If I lived in a house I would solar/wind/ and generator up. I live on the Atlantic (out my window) so the chances of an outage are high and I don't want to go another 2 weeks without power. I will say you can watch all of the YouTube videos, read all the prepper articles you can find etc. but nothing can prepare you for it. It was tough but I learned so many do's and don'ts the hard way which seems to be my preferred way to learn ha. I live on an island (Palm Beach Island) and when hurricanes are coming they warn you and then put up the bridges thus no way on or off the island. No medical, no gas, no water, no food etc) You need to make a fight or flight decision. I thought I was prepared until the 2 week incident. I have stayed here since 2000 and have learned much (should write a book for short term survival). BTW I actually have a large gas generator but it is a pain. Having to maintain it is a deal breaker for me. Once you put gas in them the clock starts ticking. Propane has a few things you have to do but maintaining them is much easier and no smell in the condo. TY for your input

The input watts only refer to the maximum X-Stream Fast AC charge wattage when you plug in the wall charger. You can charge just fine with a lower wattage. Using the Alp will just take more time, just as it would with the solar panels. You can set the charging speed on the Max from 200watts up to 1800watts. Lower speed AC charging is better for the health of the batteries anyway. With the ALP, its maximum output is 850 watts. You don't want to push any generator to its maximum as you can overload the generator. I would not push it beyond 80% load. Instead of 1 1/2 hours to charge the Max, it might take 3 hours with the Alp. Or you can charge simultaneously with solar panels and a generator to charge faster. Propane is nice because you're not having to constantly refill with gasoline. A standard tank can last you over a day on a small load. It doesn't go bad and you can't spill it when filling the gas tank.

Last edited:
I have a Honda eu2k with a LPG conversation works great but really hard to start if it gets cold. In the winter I have to store it in the house or it will not start off LPG. Runs for about 30 hours off a 20lbs in Econ mode running a 18 amp Eg4 charger.

Back