diy solar

diy solar

Propane only suggestion

I am new so apologies for my lack of knowledge upfront. I live in a condo in Florida and am designing a backup plan for hurricane season. Basics I have are an Ecoflo Max 2000 and x2 220w bifacial panels. I need to have a third (forth if I can figure it out) option for charging the EF. If you are not familiar it has a fast charge option that takes about 1 1/2 hrs with A/C. I have a no brand gas generator that is way to loud, difficult to store (gas smell) and really not that efficient. I would like a suggestion for a propane only generator. The only current one I can find is made by ALP (website only no Amazon). I contacted them was told, ......."The ALP generators generate 850 running watts. 2 generators would be 1700 running watts. You say the Echo flow input shows 1800 W max. This is too much for the ALP." I thought I had a basic understanding but this made no sense to me. This was my second email and was told the same in the first one. Perhaps someone could interpret this for me. Thank you in advance. specs of generator attached)
My mid size dual fuel is a champion 3500. it’s pretty darn quiet and in econo- mode it’s almost as quiet as my Honda 2200.At about a thousand bucks it’s a good unit. I think it would work for your needs …. it would be a lot better choice than two no names , and try to only run propane if possible.. less noise , less CO and less upkeep.It only weights 95 lbs,has good wheels and a folding handle bar set up for helping roll it around.. but respect the duty cycle of any of these sets and give them a break from continuous duty unless yours is rated for continuous.
the 3500 is an inverter gen set with clean power and has electric start.. it has worked perfectly for 3 years with minimum effort on my part..
I ran it for 3 straight weeks once about 18 hrs a day for my RV powering A/C ( surge was never a problem) and anything else with out a prob .It accepts a 30 amp TT-30 plug , and , two 20 amp GFCI outlets too. I used a 30/50 dogbone adaptor to fit the 50 amp RV recepticle .. also be aware it is a floating neutral set.
if money is no issue get a Honda 3000… Yeow..!!!

Jim.

My mid size dual fuel is a champion 3500. it’s pretty darn quiet and in econo- mode it’s almost as quiet as my Honda 2200.At about a thousand bucks it’s a good unit. I think it would work for your needs …. it would be a lot better choice than two no names , and try to only run propane if possible.. less noise , less CO and less upkeep.It only weights 95 lbs,has good wheels and a folding handle bar set up for helping roll it around.. but respect the duty cycle of any of these sets and give them a break from continuous duty unless yours is rated for continuous.
the 3500 is an inverter gen set with clean power and has electric start.. it has worked perfectly for 3 years with minimum effort on my part..
I ran it for 3 straight weeks once about 18 hrs a day for my RV powering A/C ( surge was never a problem) and anything else with out a prob .It accepts a 30 amp TT-30 plug , and , two 20 amp GFCI outlets too. I used a 30/50 dogbone adaptor to fit the 50 amp RV recepticle .. also be aware it is a floating neutral set.
if money is no issue get a Honda 3000… Yeow..!!!

Jim.
BTW.. if you don’t have electric start try to keep the ( any ) gen set at least a little warm.. roll it inside or use garage ..bring it in the house ,whatever.
it’s tough to crank a gen set by hand generally . The colder ,the harder.
both of my electric starts have no issue with cold weather.

Do you ever have to start it in freezing weather? If so how hard is it to start?
Here gets down to 40 below or so in the winter, I put a car battery on mine to get it going sometimes with little bit of either with a backfire sometimes if not careful with the choke. Takes a minute but I get her running each time I move the choke more open till it fires up. Notice my problems on starting around 0 degrees and I make sure to drain the 5W 30 oil non detergent out before Nov 1st. Going on 3 years with a orphan generator that's dual fuel, but yet to ever run it on gasoline. Have a Generac 3500 propane only genset that is 11 plus years old only changed out spark plug and ignition coil besides oil change and that's after a flash flood took it under water 3 years ago while it was running, still putting out to this day, only had to pull the spark plug and intake to dry it out then kept going.

Reactions: JRH
Here gets down to 40 below or so in the winter, I put a car battery on mine to get it going sometimes with little bit of either with a backfire sometimes if not careful with the choke. Takes a minute but I get her running each time I move the choke more open till it fires up. Notice my problems on starting around 0 degrees and I make sure to drain the 5W 30 oil non detergent out before Nov 1st. Going on 3 years with a orphan generator that's dual fuel, but yet to ever run it on gasoline. Have a Generac 3500 propane only genset that is 11 plus years old only changed out spark plug and ignition coil besides oil change and that's after a flash flood took it under water 3 years ago while it was running, still putting out to this day, only had to pull the spark plug and intake to dry it out then kept going.
Hey guy, I’m not a gen mechanic but at those temps I would check on lower number than 5 - 30 oil… my ram 2500 up here in the mountains use a 0 - 40 synthetic . It does good , But I also have cranked my old Jeep 4/0 liter 6 cyl many a times at -15 to -20 below 0 F using normal 10w 30 caster oil , and it lasted 20 years with 485,000 miles , with no teardowns or repairs on the main engine components .
Since they are all low hours and not much wear ,im switching to synthetics on my gen sets this year..
the key to cold weather I find is just try to warm them up a tat .. it doesn’t take much to make a difference. when I came to the mountains at the age of 20 I thought sub zero weather was fun and I never got cold…now days it’s not so fun and I always have cold feet… ha..yep, life is fair

Ours are small pull start 2000w generators. This winter I may try some 0w30 and see what happens. I have started it on gas to warm it up. Then I just turn off the gas and switch over to LPG.

I don’t have to use the generator much anymore. When I first moved off grid last year I was waiting on solar panels and had to charge my batteries every few days. I converted to propane because it was about $2 a gallon cheaper at the time and I could let it run for 20 hours at a time Without fueling. I hate the smell of gas on my hands and gloves.

Hey guy, I’m not a gen mechanic but at those temps I would check on lower number than 5 - 30 oil… my ram 2500 up here in the mountains use a 0 - 40 synthetic . It does good , But I also have cranked my old Jeep 4/0 liter 6 cyl many a times at -15 to -20 below 0 F using normal 10w 30 caster oil , and it lasted 20 years with 485,000 miles , with no teardowns or repairs on the main engine components .
Since they are all low hours and not much wear ,im switching to synthetics on my gen sets this year..
the key to cold weather I find is just try to warm them up a tat .. it doesn’t take much to make a difference. when I came to the mountains at the age of 20 I thought sub zero weather was fun and I never got cold…now days it’s not so fun and I always have cold feet… ha..yep, life is fair
I would run it on lower viscosity but they don't offer it in town have to order it online. Ran a souped up Geo Metro on 0W 20 before moving out here so I know it exists. Off course that inline six will run almost half million miles, as will most well designed inline engines if not pushed past 75% capacity. Can't warm anything up here, just starting off on raw piece of land, took few years to get things moved now I am building. Been at it for a year working on pole barn, maybe be able to get genset in warmer area this winter. As of right now we are in a one piece fiberglass truck camper I restored from 1968. Eight feet by three feet walking space.
Think a genset is hard starting, in my temperatures don't bother with the N14 Cummins in my semi on those days unless it's an emergency which entails a tarp over the cab/hood with a diesel torpedo heater right under the oil pan.
We all get old, just plan accordingly to common problems and I'm sure when I get to that point I will have 6th or more piece of real estate down south for winter months.

Ours are small pull start 2000w generators. This winter I may try some 0w30 and see what happens. I have started it on gas to warm it up. Then I just turn off the gas and switch over to LPG.

I don’t have to use the generator much anymore. When I first moved off grid last year I was waiting on solar panels and had to charge my batteries every few days. I converted to propane because it was about $2 a gallon cheaper at the time and I could let it run for 20 hours at a time Without fueling. I hate the smell of gas on my hands and gloves.
If it’s possible don’t put any gas at all in that 2k generator.. that will cut your maintence and carb issues down hugely Over the years. It probably weighs about 50 lbs , do like I did for years with my 2k in cold weather….. sit that rascal right inside the door until you need it… first pull starts , less wear and no one will steal it…ha All ya do is unhook the tank nozzle and then quickly screw it back on when ya take the gen set out side… plus ya won’t need 0 grade oil as you aren’t cold starting it…but it won’t hurt if you get it just in case……..good luck to ya.

I would run it on lower viscosity but they don't offer it in town have to order it online. Ran a souped up Geo Metro on 0W 20 before moving out here so I know it exists. Off course that inline six will run almost half million miles, as will most well designed inline engines if not pushed past 75% capacity. Can't warm anything up here, just starting off on raw piece of land, took few years to get things moved now I am building. Been at it for a year working on pole barn, maybe be able to get genset in warmer area this winter. As of right now we are in a one piece fiberglass truck camper I restored from 1968. Eight feet by three feet walking space.
Think a genset is hard starting, in my temperatures don't bother with the N14 Cummins in my semi on those days unless it's an emergency which entails a tarp over the cab/hood with a diesel torpedo heater right under the oil pan.
We all get old, just plan accordingly to common problems and I'm sure when I get to that point I will have 6th or more piece of real estate down south for winter months.
Well you surely have your work cut out.I am familiar with the cold weather mountain life..it’s not for everyone for sure… there’s an old saying on the mountain area I live in.
couples come here together , but they generally leave separately..
Seen it many times ,pilgrim….

Well you surely have your work cut out.I am familiar with the cold weather mountain life..it’s not for everyone for sure… there’s an old saying on the mountain area I live in.
couples come here together , but they generally leave separately..
Seen it many times ,pilgrim….
They come here together and leave together as the cheap price for land entices them with the promise of low monthly financing and they get here and realize, no electricity, no cell phone service, no water, no services, zilch then long distance to get in town through dead of winter to work as the retired folks are too tired to put up with this or think they are entitled to more in life. I'm on a cell phone booster antennae +65dB typing this after I climbed a tree 40' and ran RG11 cable 600' crimping my own F connectors to type here.
Wife loves it here so much she invested and owns half of all the real estate we have here...
Pink Floyd: Waiting for the worms

They come here together and leave together as the cheap price for land entices them with the promise of low monthly financing and they get here and realize, no electricity, no cell phone service, no water, no services, zilch then long distance to get in town through dead of winter to work as the retired folks are too tired to put up with this or think they are entitled to more in life. I'm on a cell phone booster antennae +65dB typing this after I climbed a tree 40' and ran RG11 cable 600' crimping my own F connectors to type here.
Wife loves it here so much she invested and owns half of all the real estate we have here...
Pink Floyd: Waiting for the worms
I see your co ordinates , but roughly where is a 46 latitude .. what’s somthing on that plane for a reference .

My dual fuel champion is nice.
I have 3 champions.
Gas with remote start 4000w, dual fuel 2000w, and dual fuel 4000
Struggled in the super cold but I keep a little gas in it and use both when needed.
Gas remote start has been flawless.

I should also mention mine is a pull-start.
Either work out for a year to beef up your arms real big, or bring that critter inside the kitchen or garage at night…if you can keep it slightly warm it won’t mess with ya…..once it starts it generally don’t care how cold it is…(within reason). Electric start will stop all that but you need to keep a trickle charge devise ( Battery Tender ) on the battery as if it gets weak at all it won’t do the job.. That’s been my experience .
I have had a couple of 7 - 10k diesel gen sets on my sailboat but that is a whole different animal..and they hate cold weather with a passion.

It will never, never see gasoline.
Aren't you supposed to break them in on gasoline to seat the rings before switching to propane or NG ?

I just ordered a Champion 8750 inverter/generator with plans on adding a tri-fuel kit. It was the largest clean sine wave gennie I could find for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Aren't you supposed to break them in on gasoline to seat the rings before switching to propane or NG ?

I just ordered a Champion 8750 inverter/generator with plans on adding a tri-fuel kit. It was the largest clean sine wave gennie I could find for a reasonable price.
I don’t think fuel type really matters. I purchased a Champion 8.5k full home backup and it runs off propane only no gas option. The combustion rings (the top two rings) are lubricated by the third ring bottom on the piston (oil ring) on four stroke engines. So there is no lubricant in the fuel It’s self.

I don’t think fuel type really matters. I purchased a Champion 8.5k full home backup and it runs off propane only no gas option. The combustion rings (the top two rings) are lubricated by the third ring bottom on the piston (oil ring) on four stroke engines. So there is no lubricant in the fuel It’s self.
The conversion kits that I have researched all specify a mandatory gasoline breakin period first. Maybe it is a CYA move on their part to eliminate any initial generator problems from being blamed on their kits ???

FWIW, my Champion arrived this morning from Amazon. The Amazon delivery guys must have never heard of "THIS SIDE UP". Glad it is built in a roll cage with metal shipping tie-down brackets.

Back