diy solar

diy solar

Propane only suggestion

Ours are small pull start 2000w generators. This winter I may try some 0w30 and see what happens. I have started it on gas to warm it up. Then I just turn off the gas and switch over to LPG.

I don’t have to use the generator much anymore. When I first moved off grid last year I was waiting on solar panels and had to charge my batteries every few days. I converted to propane because it was about $2 a gallon cheaper at the time and I could let it run for 20 hours at a time Without fueling. I hate the smell of gas on my hands and gloves.
Jack Rabbit - Does your propane conversion kit have a priming button on the back of the low-pressure regulator? Pushing that in serves like a choke on a gas carb and helps with cold starts. You can buy the regulators separately with either manual prime or automatic (solenoid) priming. What make of propane conversion kit did you install on your EU2000?

Maybe it is a CYA move on their part to eliminate any initial generator problems from being blamed on their kits ???
This has to be it. I was a propane licensed forklift tech for 12 years. Nowhere in the manuals of the new lift trucks did it say anything about breaking in a new propane lift on gas first. Just to change out the break in oil in 200 to 250 hours. I didn’t work on to many new ones, I always got stuck with the 30yo junk. Nor did we break in motor rebuilds on gas. Just used a spec break in oil for the first 200 hours.

Jack Rabbit - Does your propane conversion kit have a priming button on the back of the low-pressure regulator? Pushing that in serves like a choke on a gas carb and helps with cold starts. You can buy the regulators separately with either manual prime or automatic (solenoid) priming. What make of propane conversion kit did you install on your EU2000?
I have the manual regulator. I can push that button for 30sec and it’s still hard to start cold. I’m sure it’s because I’m at 4500 feet elevation And the engine runs lean. But there is no way to adjust it. where the adjuster is they have it blocked off with a plug. I got my kit from hutch mountain. I’m going to call them and ask about it tomorrow. I don’t use the generator much anymore but it would be nice if it would start easier. It’s old and has other issues also and I have others so it’s not that big of a deal to me.

At 4500 feet it would be rich, less air density.

Either a compression release or a quick squirt of starting fluid will probably help you.
It should. But it’s hard to start and when it’s running not under load it pop pop pops like lean pop not blubbery. But I haven’t really done anything with it. Still haven’t called Hutch Mountain ether. I’m also not use to working on single cylinder generators vs 4 and six cylinder lift trucks at 600 feet of elevation. I also haven’t worked on them in years.

Last edited:
Wonder if your hi-pressure regulator on your propane tank is feeding the right pressure to your low pressure (on generator) regulator? You can check if the inlet pressure to the engine regulator meets specs by using a u-tube shaped piece of hose filled with water and measuring the height difference between ambient and hose pressure. If that pressure is too low or too high the engine won't run right.

Ended up buying a Champion 2500 duel fuel from Coastal. It starts and runs off propane flawlessly. Has more power then my converted Honda and starts easily! My Honda got sold! My spare Honda is now also for sale and I’m off to my local coastal tomorrow to buy another Champion along with the parallel kit.

Back