diy solar

diy solar

Proposed DIY solar power station

tumbi1

Hello,

I'm very much a newbie in Australia, but I'm looking to put together my own solar power station using these types of components;

1 of these inverters;

4 of these batteries;

4 of these panels;

I was going to mount the inverter and batteries on a trolley.

This will only be to cover powering 1 fridge (150W)/ 1 freezer (125W) for 12 hours a day, 1 water pump (800W, a few times a day for maybe 20 seconds at a time), and some computer gear (300W) for 4 hours a day. I am looking to use it for a potential long term power outage (weeks/months). We already have a petrol generator attached to the house with a lot of fuel storage, so this will compliment it depending on the weather.

Is this system doable, and is it fit for purpose? How long would the batteries take to charge?

Thanks,

Mark.

Any reason you're going with 4 SLA's instead of LiFe's? Dollar per Ah the 100Ah are about the same money per unit and provide 2x the draw. Those batteries are only going to give you 50Ah @48v or 2400Wh.

Are you building it way over spec for your load on purpose? The napkin math says a 3Kw should be plenty for your loads. If you did a 3Kw box on a 24v system you could just get 1 of the 24v 200Ah (4800Wh) LiFe's and the AIO which would be less parts to mount and take up less cubic space, plus weigh a LOT less when you go to move that thing around.

I don't know if that water pump is going to play nicely with a HF inverter, you may need a LF inverter to handle its startup draw.

Just for consideration, what about this:
2Kw LF inverter, 24v
1x 24v 200Ah LiFe battery
60a MPPT SCC

You'll have less standby draw, a LF inverter to feed the startup amperage for the water pump, and still quite a bit of headroom if everything tries to kick on at the same time. Plus the benefit of less weight and less pieces to mount up (against 4 AGM's and a physically larger AIO) to your cart.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
My personal feeling is that going 48V LFP is a good choice, and using a HF inverter with inductive load that on paper is way to big may work and is lighter than a LF inverter. The waterpump at 800W should be starting on this inverter, I usually think 4x as startpower for a single phase scrirrel motor. And you have 5x available :D

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I've come to the right place! Knut, we live in the same region - I am
about 25 minutes west of Kempsey NSW :)

I am starting to think 2 systems now, one LF and the other HF, and split the loads between them. I like the idea of 2 for a certain amount of redundancy. Also I am happy to hear I am actually over reaching capacity wise - I thought with my calculations the size was about right, but I am very inexperienced with this stuff. I will re-check my calculations.

I like the look of the Trinas, thanks for that, will substitute.

I thought the batteries were LiFe's? The subject reads '12V 100Ah Lithium Battery LiFePO4 Cells Recharge Replace SLA AGM 4WD RV Power' and the details say they are LiFe's, but I can easily choose some others as there are plenty available.

These batteries look ok;
I watched several of Wills battery review videos last night including the battery you link to above. He seemed to like this one more.

Sealed Lead Acid, Absorbed Glass Mat. Those are 2 of the 3 types of lead acid based batteries (along with Gel). If the ad is saying it's all 3 I'd find another source because they obviously are lying about something. You can't be lead acid AND LiFe at the same time.

What about this for a 3kw 24Volt system? How can you tell if it is LF?
Just bumping this question, especially the LF part (apologies in advance for a silly question)

Just bumping this question, especially the LF part (apologies in advance for a silly question)
Solar Control Mode: PWM

Is it 3kw or 5kw? Your sellers out there are crazy! It's like trying to get straight answers out of Corporate! :)

You really need to look at sources other than Ebay if you want accurate information.

Solar Control Mode: PWM

Is it 3kw or 5kw? Your sellers out there are crazy! It's like trying to get straight answers out of Corporate! :)

You really need to look at sources other than Ebay if you want accurate information.
Can you direct me to a suitable LF inverter?

Those are a little more than inverters, they're AIOs (All In One), they have inverter, solar charge controller and AC battery charger - all in one box.
One can tell they're LF HF because of the weight and of the price.
They're cheapish Chinese knockoffs of... pretty much all AIOs nowadays.I have one. Get one with an MPPT solar charger.

Keep in mind that they usually don't like non-inverter-type generators to charge. They fail to synchronise the phases.
I would say, yes, get a cheapo, they usually last a couple of years - or more, especially if you don't strain them much.
They tend to be noisy. The fans do. Best put outside.

Last edited:
I would say LF inverters are not to common, but they are easy to spot as they are heavy. A 3 to 5 kW under 20 kg is a HF inverter. All LF inverters have the transformer on the output end and feeds the load directly. An HF inverter have its inductance in the voltage bucket Circuit and the waveforming on the high voltage.

Gonna have to punt this one to an Aussie, but the dead giveaway on being LF or HF is the weight. A 3Kw LF inverter alone should be weighing about 20Kg, so if the entire unit is 10Kg it's gotta be HF.

That water pump is really what's killing you. If you can get a soft start module/controller for it you could probably swing a regular 3Kw HF AIO unit I would think.

Unfortunately high amp draws have to be tackled 1 (or more) of 3 ways:
1: Low frequency inverters (heavy, expensive, hard to source) that can handle the big current rush that motors require.
2: Massively oversized HF inverters (expensive, lots of wasted standby energy, 48v banks) that have so much extra overhead that the inrush current is still within normal spec
3: Soft start controller and prayer that it's soft enough to not totally overload the AIO

Last edited:
1 of these inverters;
Looks like a Voltronics clone. 4kW (5kVA) with max 145V solar MPPT.
I have a similar clone unit but mine has lower solar PV input voltage limit (105V) and is PWM, not MPPT.

Hard to know how it would go with your pump. You'd really need to know the characteristics of your pump, or measure it with power meter that can assess surge rating. Perhaps consider a pump soft starter.

Mine runs a pool pump which starts with 900W cycle for 5-min before reverting to all day cycle at ~320W but it has a soft start up and doesn't seem to have a high current surge demand at all.

4 of these batteries;
Can't connect those batteries in series. 12V systems only.

These batteries look ok;
That's a better choice - the specs say these can be connected in series. I can't vouch for their quality though, just that the specs say you can connect in series.

I dunno, maybe consider a pre-made 48V battery?

I would make a substitution for the panels and go with 4 Trinas https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/284461999450?hash=item423b41a55a:g:zOUAAOSw4pVhS83r
While they are better panels, you need to be careful about panel choice Voc ratings and how that works with your choice of inverter/charge controller. These have a Voc at 25°C of 41.2V, so allowing for a chilly morning west of Kempsey you are looking at a Voc of ~45V.

I think you would be safe to have those panels in a 3S arrangement with that inverter, 2S would also work. But no more or less per string.

Not sure you'd want put all that on a trolley really. Seems more of a wall mount job to me.

My cheap (3kW, 24V) Chinese knockoff will take an 800W load for quite some time - like hours - with no apparent strain... except the fans go whoof all the time.

Back