diy solar

diy solar

Pro's and Con's of a Victron Smart Solar Controller with MC4 Connectors

Ranger Rick

Here comes the sun
What are the Pro's and Con's of a Victron Smart Solar Controller with MC4 Connectors vs TR direct wiring. The Victron website states that the Maximum PV Short Circuit Current is reduced from 50A to 30A. My panels are in Series, and each PV has an Isc of 10.2A. Thank you.

The only pro to the MC4 version is it makes connecting the wires slightly easier if your PV wires already have MC4 connectors on the SCC end of the wires.

I see a few cons of the MC4 version:
- MC4 is limited generally to 30A. That might not apply to your current setup but things could change or you might later want to sell the SCC and the limit could lessen the number of potential buyers. Though the MC4 versions have 2 pairs of MC4 connectors so you can split your panel array into 2 to split the amperage if needed.
- If the SCC end of your PV wires don't already have MC4 connectors then you need to add them.
- You need more room below the mounted SCC to be able to make the MC4 connections.
- You must use the extra stiff, difficult, and more expensive PV wire all the way to the SCC since you have to have MC4 connectors. The TR version lets you use regular wire to the SCC and only use PV wire where it's needed - outside in the elements.

My other tip is that if you are going to use the Victron smart controller with MC4 connectors, you may want to also have a small bag of Victron-branded MC4 connectors on hand as possible replacements for the ones your panels came with. At least the ones that mate with the controller.

The point here is that while MC4 is supposed to be standard, manufacturing and QC variances with a random selection of other vendors versions of the connector may not be a tight enough fit under heavy current demand, oxidize over time etc. Just keep an eye on it. You may never have this problem. But if you do, you've got that small bag of replacements ready and waiting.

Last edited:
Back