diy solar

diy solar

Pros/Cons: inverter-charger combo vs buying separate units

I'll get things kicked of. Someone here is bound to jump in. And disagree with me. (It'll be fun)

All-in-one is the crase these days. I own one and enjoy it. Although I keep spare charge controlers on hand.
Some argue, if something goes wrong with the mppt, inside, the entire unit my be out of service.

Let me start off by saying I'm not really an advocate either way. Both have their plusses and minuses in my book.

The AIOs are EXTREMELY easy to install once you have your basic wiring figured out, and they do everything you'll need in a single box. You don't have to worry about additional parts because it's all been put into one package for you. No more extra expenses, which is really nice and appealing. The downside is, if something breaks or goes wrong, your entire system is down.

With individual components, you have to buy every little piece. You would need the inverter PLUS when you get solar panels, you would have to invest in a solar charge controller (or possibly several) to provide the ability to recharge from solar. On the plus side, if your charge controller goes down, you can still use every other aspect of the system till you replace it (and it doesn't matter what SCC you replace it with).

The standalone units don't have to worry about cramming multiple components with multiple functions inside. They only have to perform a single task (invert/charge/etc). The All In Ones (AIO) have to get all these different components happily working together in a single package and sometimes compromises are made in the quality (which is why sometimes things break).

I'm sticking with the subject. I'm not talking about AiO. I'm talking about inverter/chargers.

Inverter/Charger
Pro:
The chargers that are a part of inverter/chargers leverage the same circuitry to charge at higher currents, so they tend to be more cost effective than two separate equivalent components.
Tend to be more efficient than standalone chargers.
Cons:
Require sufficient supply power to power charger AND loads. Most inverter/chargers recommend a source 30-50% greater than the inverter output rating.
Transitioning from inverting to charging may be problematic for very sensitive electronics.
May have a higher idle draw than an inverter-only.

Separate charger:
Pros:
Can charge from a lower output source.
Power supply is never interrupted (inverter is always inverting).
Can be turned off for zero idle consumption.
Cons:
Lower charge rate.
Higher cost for equivalent charge rate.

Last edited:
In the photo you already have an inverter.

Just buy a charger imho. And a backup psw inverter.

It’s still within the return window for Amazon, so I’m just wondering because cost of battery charger is expensive relative to all-in one

All in ones in the shelf range of that renogy will have a higher no load / idle consumption

It’s still within the return window for Amazon, so I’m just wondering because cost of battery charger is expensive relative to all-in one
A quality inverter like my SW4024 has a built-in generator input circuit, so no external charger is needed. All you need to do is run a cable from the inverter to the socket on the generator.

So I like that the victron hybrid inverter chargers effectively function as a transfer switch.
Thats a big plus on an RV

Back