diy solar

diy solar

Pros/Cons to 2-Sol-Ark 8K's vs. 1-Sol-Ark 15K

Very nice!!

What is your peak draw?

I have 2 Sol-Ark 12ks paralleled. Peak draw on my house is 12kw so plenty of head room.
Sorry for the delay was off on vacation, my peak draw is always under 10K except when I am charging the batteries then I have it set for 12K max from grid. Two months in and the Sol Ark 15 continues to amaze. It has functioned without issue. Installing another set of 230Ah Trophies tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay was off on vacation, my peak draw is always under 10K except when I am charging the batteries then I have it set for 12K max from grid. Two months in and the Sol Ark 15 continues to amaze. It has functioned without issue. Installing another set of 230Ah Trophies tomorrow.
Nice setup. How are you liking the Trophy Batteries? I recently watched Will's battery comparison video and he stated they are the only one to have a built-in heater. Might be a good thing for us, up North in Ontario and going with a shipping container setup to house everything. But he also said they a big and don't fit standard battery racks. Oh, that reminds me. Where did you get the rack you're using?

Nice setup. How are you liking the Trophy Batteries? I recently watched Will's battery comparison video and he stated they are the only one to have a built-in heater. Might be a good thing for us, up North in Ontario and going with a shipping container setup to house everything. But he also said they a big and don't fit standard battery racks. Oh, that reminds me. Where did you get the rack you're using?
The Trophy’s are working great for us. Considering buying another set for a total of 6 220’s. No complaints at all and whenever I have a question Dan has always been quick with answers. As for racking I chose heavy duty shelving. I purchased mine at Walmart believe it or not. You will need a 24 inch deep shelves. I also pick shelves that weren’t solid to facilitate air circulation. I saw a set at Costco last night that would be perfect and they were built tough. Somewhere in the $250 price range. My batteries weigh in around 200# a piece so take that into consideration. Also getting them in the rack is a tough too. I used a floor Jack to lift them up and slid them onto the shelves. They come packed very nicely. Wooden crates on a pallet.

Attachments

• F48AF223-8804-45CE-8B4F-ABAFE923789E.jpeg
    F48AF223-8804-45CE-8B4F-ABAFE923789E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • 43F40C76-F062-4193-825E-72EC49AE1F0F.jpeg
    43F40C76-F062-4193-825E-72EC49AE1F0F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
The Trophy’s are working great for us. Considering buying another set for a total of 6 220’s. No complaints at all and whenever I have a question Dan has always been quick with answers. As for racking I chose heavy duty shelving. I purchased mine at Walmart believe it or not. You will need a 24 inch deep shelves. I also pick shelves that weren’t solid to facilitate air circulation. I saw a set at Costco last night that would be perfect and they were built tough. Somewhere in the $250 price range. My batteries weigh in around 200# a piece so take that into consideration. Also getting them in the rack is a tough too. I used a floor Jack to lift them up and slid them onto the shelves. They come packed very nicely. Wooden crates on a pallet.
Thank you.

Thank you.
Anytime. I like my shelves fine but they seem a little flimsy. Rated to carry the weight. If I were doing it again I’d go a little heavier duty or better yet I’d put them in a metal cabinet. If anything went wrong at least in a metal cabinet it might contain any bad stuff or at least delay a fire spread. I have purchased a fire blanket and extinguisher just in case. And yes I shouldn’t have any combustibles on my shelves.

If oil was cheap I would def stick with gas cars. No one is saving the environment when buying electric cars, you are only shifting the pollution to power plants. I don't see Mexico switching for a long time. The other downside once the car reaches 10 years old it can barely go 30 miles without needing a charge, but that's with some vehicles, not all. Batteries are too expensive so they become obsolete. The landfills will be full because batteries are to expensive to replace.
Agreed. Not only that, but the software that runs them can be turned off with a click remotely, and that goes for every bit of 'green' or 'Smart' innovation. Inverters, microinverters, Optimizers... anything linked to an app or has a backdoor. Pretty handy for countries looking at social credit programs. China could bring CA to a standstill if they wanted to, today.

If oil was cheap I would def stick with gas cars. No one is saving the environment when buying electric cars, you are only shifting the pollution to power plants. I don't see Mexico switching for a long time. The other downside once the car reaches 10 years old it can barely go 30 miles without needing a charge, but that's with some vehicles, not all. Batteries are too expensive so they become obsolete. The landfills will be full because batteries are to expensive to replace.
Your Completely wrong, your not looking at the big picture.

First of all in the USA 39% of power production comes from Nuclear and Renewable energy like Solar and Wind.
Another 38% comes from Natural Gas which is fairly clean with 50% less emissions than Coal or Oil.
The other 23% comes from Coal and other dirty fuel supplies.
So basically only 60% of the electrical energy we produce requires some sort of filtering to remove contaminants and 40% is completely clean.

To remove or Scrub out Green House gases it is not only much easier to do at power plant but it is the only practical way to to remove them. The level of filtering technology used at electric power plants cannot be implemented on individual cars.

If we take a typical 500MW power plant and run the numbers it will produce 12MWh of power each day.
That is enough power to charge 200,000 electric vehicles, each with 60KWh of batteries.
The amount of emissions from 200,000 gas powered cars is far greater than that one power plant if we use the averages of how power is produced.

In any case a plan requires a starting point and they have wisely chosen the best path forward by splitting the plan into two main objectives.
First get everything possible off of fossil fuels and electrified, that way the infrastructure is already in place for stage two.
Stage two is to get Fusion Power plants in place. A backup plan is to go back to building more Fission plants but they are betting that over the next 30 years they will be Fusion Plants powering most of the world.

So any way you want to slice it we are polluting less today by using electric vehicles even if they are powered by generators using fossil fuels and we will hopefully be almost off of fossil fuels in 30 years.

Lastly I don't know where you got your info on battery life from, there are several Tesla owners who have gone over 400 thousand miles on their original battery pack and many who are at 200K.
Tesla warranties the battery for 8 years or 100K Miles with 70% of capacity still available. Even if the battery got down to 50% at the 10 year mark that would still be a minimum of 120 miles.
I don't know about you but there are very few days I drive 120 Miles and it is even less likely that I would keep the Vehicle that long.

Last edited:
@robby I think you're spot on with a longevity of electric car batteries, especially lithium iron phosphate which is where everything seems to be headed.

Let's also not discount second life uses of car batteries, which a lot of this forum is dedicated towards.

More importantly, I think your second point about fusion is probably off. It seems pretty likely that we're heading into a more decentralized power generation mix with more rooftop solar and large scale solar and wind. The incredible amount of energy that's going to be able to be harnessed from vehicle to grid and home will solve the intermittency problem. @Will Prowse , how do you see things shaking out say in a 10-20 year timeframe?

Last edited:
Green energy is a total misnomer. It’s not green at all. The natural resources required are huge and the waste is even bigger. Count in the fossil fuels required to manufacture green tech and we are at the same place we started. This is not to mention the economic costs involved. Looks good sounds good but if you research the underbelly it’s not green at all. It’s just taking dollars from one place and giving it to another. It puts “green” countries at an economic disadvantage which takes even more dollars from those that can least afford it. But it is what it is. I have solar because I want to be independent but it had to make financial sense. Green cannot stand on its own feet because without incentives no one could afford it. Where do the incentives come from taxpayers. They offer them and I take them but without them no dice. So it’s good if you have the money to make the investment but most do not.

FoGreen energy is a total misnomer. It’s not green at all. The natural resources required are huge and the waste is even bigger. Count in the fossil fuels required to manufacture green tech and we are at the same place we started.
That old lie spread by global warming deniers has been debunked years ago.
The energy required to make a solar panel or battery is far less than the energy it will deliver over its 25 and 13 year useful lifespan.
This is not to mention the economic costs involved. Looks good sounds good but if you research the underbelly it’s not green at all. It’s just taking dollars from one place and giving it to another.
The oil industry is promoting a product that is cheap at the start but the long term expense in enormous. Solar is much cheaper in the long run.
It puts “green” countries at an economic disadvantage which takes even more dollars from those that can least afford it. But it is what it is. I have solar because I want to be independent but it had to make financial sense.
Same here and for me it made a lot of financial sense.
Green cannot stand on its own feet because without incentives no one could afford it. Where do the incentives come from taxpayers.
I got Zero dollars worth on incentives and my system will pay back for itself in 5 years. I figure the following five years will be pure profit.
They offer them and I take them but without them no dice. So it’s good if you have the money to make the investment but most do not.

Robby we live in the Midwest where energy prices are significantly less. The fixed rate now is 12.5 cents per kWh. It takes much longer here for a ROI. When I installed my first system 8 yrs ago I figured ROI at 10 yrs. Rates were 10 cents per kWh then so it’s better. I got an FTC and 5 yrs of SREC payments also for that first system. It’s just paid for itself so I upgraded this year to the Sol Ark and storage. So on the upgrade I’ll also get an FTC and they are starting a storage incentive in Jan. But ROI will be pretty long on the upgrade. Our entire utility bill for the year 2021 was less than $600. So my ROI with FTC will be over 30 yrs. Not apples to apples. But my point is without incentives green is dead in the water. We made our decision on many factors and love it but it’s a bad investment on paper only. I also come back to the economic disadvantage this puts our country in. One only needs to look at China to see its impact. It’s only one factor but it’s one of many reasons we can’t compete economically with China. They have less rules an regulations than we do which makes our products more expensive to produce. Also much of our population is struggling to put food on the table. Green energy is not even on the priority list for these people. They are focused on just surviving. What’s the future? I’m not sure but renewables are going to get significantly more expensive. Silver a key component in all renewables is in very short supply and getting worse and is poised to skyrocket in price. We just do not have enough above the ground silver to supply current demand and it we look at hitting climate goals it’s impossible. This is just silver. Add in lithium and it’s game over. So yes we may get new technologies but that’s unknown at this point. So on its face, our best shot is a combination of clean coal, and fossil fuels for now. Not what some want but it is the reality of the situation. We can debate global warming and probably never agree. Renewables are nice, I like them but they are not practical and they are expensive and I will say long term it’s unsustainable without new technologies.

One other thought, I obviously love solar but it’s a big issue for the utilities. They have all our grid sell PV power coming in during the day. At night they have nothing. It is extremely difficult for the utilities to manage loads with solar. They cannot just shut off their generation 6-7 hours a day. Those power plants take days to shut down and start up. Yes they have natural gas peaking plants but they aren’t enough to supply the total load at night. So their generation must continue 24/7 even if they do not need the capacity. This is why many utilities are not allowing any more PV onto their grid. They have too much capacity in the day and not enough at night. It is becoming an issue also that all rate payers are supplementing the cost of solar even if they can’t afford a system of their own and they are starting to speak up about it. Understandably so they do not feel they should pay higher rates so that a few of us can reap the rewards on their dollar.

They have too much capacity in the day and not enough at night.
Michigan is going 'full on' with solar, 19244 12Mile Rd, Battle Creek, MI 49014
These racks appear to track E-W, but look to be useless in the winter months. More and more of these sites are being constructed as I look around the State.
The Gas Peaker Plants can come online quickly, but are basically jet engines running on Natural gas and unless the heat is being captured from their exhaust, are very wasteful.
As far as a I can figure, the Utility company's construction components are being utilized for profits instead of only energy sales. I mean, they are building these for the subsidies and other funds, if the energy prices must go up because of this, so be it. The utilities are regulated monopolies and operate on a cost+ bases.
If someone is jumping on the solar bandwagon because, everyone else is doing it, they need to dig deeper into the available information.

For me, it's a hobby and I like DIY and independence.

Michigan is going 'full on' with solar, 19244 12Mile Rd, Battle Creek, MI 49014
These racks appear to track E-W, but look to be useless in the winter months. More and more of these sites are being constructed as I look around the State.
The Gas Peaker Plants can come online quickly, but are basically jet engines running on Natural gas and unless the heat is being captured from their exhaust, are very wasteful.
As far as a I can figure, the Utility company's construction components are being utilized for profits instead of only energy sales. I mean, they are building these for the subsidies and other funds, if the energy prices must go up because of this, so be it. The utilities are regulated monopolies and operate on a cost+ bases.
If someone is jumping on the solar bandwagon because, everyone else is doing it, they need to dig deeper into the available information.

For me, it's a hobby and I like DIY and independence.
Obviously it’s the same for us. It a complex issue with many moving parts and there is no clear cut answer. I try to stay abreast of all viewpoints and both sides have valid arguments. It’s always evolving but the trend right now at least in our state is the big utilities are allowing solar but generation agreements are definitely not as favorable as they were 8 yrs ago. So they are stacking the deck back to the favor of the utility. Small Co-ops are doing everything thing they can to discourage solar. Most will take your PV production and pay you wholesale rates and then charge you retail rates for any use. That’s the standard here. I happen to be grandfathered in so I get retail both buy and sell. It a long ROI with the new rates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for fun I decided to chart the PV data from Sol-Ark vs. Solar Radiation data from my weather station for today.
What are you using for a weather station and how do you integrate the data? Does the weather station require internet access?

I tried using Ecowitt locally, but my TP3000WC ("Pro Weather") won't validate wifi without connecting to a few servers in China first.

The problem with buying two of the same inverters at the same time from the same distributor is the exact same reason I never buy hard drives from the same place at the same time for a redundant array. If there was a manufacturing defect that happened on the manufacturing line both units can be affected equally and their MTBF will be awfully close, meaning when one goes, chances are the other one will go too in fairly short order.
If life wasn’t complicated enough you just gave me something else to think about good point?

Post kind of got off topic. 15K for the 200 Amp bypass. It is much lower impedance for modern synchronous rectification loads, probably due to heavier wiring and transfer relays.

Yes it did. Thanks for the response and I agree and have since bought the 15k. I hope to install it in the coming weeks.

The 15k will have EMP armor -- sounds cool, so I'm sold :ROFLMAO:

Never know what hit ‘em ?

I am going to look at 2 used Sol-Ark 12k and 2 rack Batteries. They are asking 6,000 for all 4. Any advice on what to look for? Any Issues with the earlier models? Does anyone know the release date of the 12k? The other option is to buy new and just get 1 15K But the cost Is quite a bit more.

Back