diy solar

diy solar

Pros & Cons to use loctite on grub screws on EVE Cells

35 inch lbs is about 4nm. The reason I mentioned 25 inch lbs is because that's what I have torqued my nut on my JB welded repair. :) So far it's been fine.

Hi Guys, Today I glued my studs. It is just preventative. (Not more than normal wiggle before gluing) with the studs)

First cleaning with aceton. Then primer 494147 + Loctite 271.

I did grind the end of the studs just to get more thread in to the battery. Backed out the stud 1/4 turn before finger tightening a nut with a piece of vinyl in between. (Just to straighten the stud before the loctite hardens)

You have to be reasonably fast as the Loctite sets in 2-3 minutes.

Some observation.
1. The wiggle is normal having in mind that it is not many active threads.
2. Discoloration of the studs after being connected for 2 weeks. Galling from the aluminum.
3. All holes are not the same. Two holes on two different cells were 1.5 mm deeper.
4. Do not apply solvent or even water to clean terminals from Loctite to early. It takes 80-90 hours before the Loctite is solvent resistant.

Attachments

• 253103FE-44E6-45F8-8179-F3BE7A324E5B.jpeg
    253103FE-44E6-45F8-8179-F3BE7A324E5B.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DD2121EC-1499-41E3-B490-AB5F9726FBB1.jpeg
    DD2121EC-1499-41E3-B490-AB5F9726FBB1.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 26
I'm on building my first battery pack and this thread helped me a lot.

[EDIT] I had not paid attention that some loctite don't require primer like mentioned just above. The current red loctite I have on hand is like OP, the 271 which requires primer. It seems cheaper to buy one of the following 243 (blue, cure time 72+ h on SS) or 263 (red, cure time ~22h on SS). Note: the 648 cure time on SS is 168 hours!! Manufacturer's cure time uses either 22C (~72F) or 23C (~73F), go figure!

For those stumbling on this thread, consider downloading the following resource guide Basics for putting lugs on posts - currently the guide references loctite 533 and that seems wrong.

If you have on hand the 271, per manufacturer recommendation you should consider to put primer. The following applies at least to 271:

When to use primer loctite

. "Recommended for inactive metal such as pure aluminum and stainless steel." - This matches what we're trying to accomplish.
. "Helps for "large bond gaps" - Like OP, I too find that the stainless steel grub screw wobble a lot compared to what I'm used.
. "Speeds up the curing time" - OP wrote within 2-3m it had started to set in.. this is indeed quite faster.

From the Primer info page :

. "For smaller gaps, it is only necessary to apply the accelerator to one surface, this seems our case." - This seems to match our case.
. "Allow the solvent carrier of the activator to evaporate off completely so that the parts are dry to the touch. The accelerator has an on-part life of 30 days. Within that window of time, the anaerobic can be applied normally."
. "It is recommended to use the correct loctite cleaner for the surface to be bonded {snip} to degrease and clean surfaces prior to applying the adhesive." - They recommend their product but isopropyl alcohol is likely good enough.

Last edited:
Back