diy solar

Proyecto Espa

Want to read more about our adventure?

• No - you’re on your own with that thanks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Señor Quattro

We are about to undertake an off-grid adventure on a 224 acre plot of land in the south of Spain. We are planning to design, fabricate and deploy a whole lot of innovative, interesting and occasionally experimental technologies, techniques, processes, materials and ideas. I will document these here in this section for those of you interested in discussing. I’ll be covering electricity but those topics will be in the main part of the forum. Here I’ll talk about, in no particular order, water extraction, filtration, purification, storage, recycling, dosing; methane generation; black soldier fly incubation; composting; irrigation; underfloor heating; roof trusses design; selective absorptive coatings; drainback heating systems; heat stores; insulation; wireless sensor networks and control systems; evacuated tube heating elements; double glazed window unit fabrication; touch panels; automatic chicken waste recycling; security; dog food; DIY forced air induction methane/diesel/motor oil/cooking oil/propane gas burner; nano-bubbles; corona discharge O3 generation; electrolysis; tractors; welding; tools; activated carbon filtration; UV-C irradiation; Cellular Lightweight Concrete; Venturi design; soil amendment; seed germination and cultivation; fencing; foundations; plumbing; wiring; cladding; insulation. And a whole lot more besides. This is a rest-of-life adventure for a young(ish) British “retiring” couple giving up a comfortable, middle class life in England for a ‘start again from scratch’ existence on a remote plot of land in Spain with zero amenities apart from space, sunshine, a lake and a whole lot of ambition.

We don’t knit our own sandals out of lentils, we like fast cars and technology. The off-grid lifestyle comes with the territory in rural Spain but we don’t intend to give up on the 21st century. We will live a careful, respectful, sustainable life but retain the benefits of a comfortable existence - we’re not trippy-hippy ecomentalists!

We have a lot of ideas but we don’t know everything. This is a journey and we’ll share the mistakes we make along the way as well as the triumphs. We want to provide a platform for discussion - giving and taking freely to and from this community for all our benefits. All contributions, questions, suggestions, ideas are welcome. Let’s embark on this journey together.

The adventure starts on June 1 2020.

S & A

Last edited:
As a true minimal griddlist, I find that less than 1, 1/100 of 1% of USAmericans that I know have the desire, courage, energy or interest in rocking it nearly third world. I don't blame them, after all who wants to walk around in lentil sandals up to their knees in snow while doing all things with minimal money, therefore, maximum ingenuity? ~ Looking forward to your sharing your adventure in the Spanish wilderness. Ciao ciao, OG. ☮️

Hello Señor Quattro,

It takes a lot of guts to up sticks and do what you're doing, so I wish you the very best of luck on your venture in Spain and will be watching this thread to see how it's all going.

Best - John

Thanks John - we’re in Spain now but back in Blighty for work in January - Cambridgeshire.

As a true minimal griddlist, I find that less than 1, 1/100 of 1% of USAmericans that I know have the desire, courage, energy or interest in rocking it nearly third world. I don't blame them, after all who wants to walk around in lentil sandals up to their knees in snow while doing all things with minimal money, therefore, maximum ingenuity? ~ Looking forward to your sharing your adventure in the Spanish wilderness. Ciao ciao, OG.

Thanks Offgriddle. I feel a bit of a fraud. We will be eschewing the lentil sandals altogether, it is the depth of winter here right now and I’m sat on the terrace in a t-shirt (7.30pm). And by way of example, we purchased a beautiful modern German kitchen which will find its way into the house at some point. The idea is to transform this completely beautiful baron bit of planet into a completely beautiful lush bit of planet. Once we have water and electricity flowing we’re off to the races. The goal is 21st century homesteading.

Mrs Q is keen on a vlog but I pointed out that we’ll be too busy doing stuff, then redoing it again properly, to film it all. I do intend to document it all in a blog though, hopefully daily, and it will be illustrated. Between now and then I’ll establish a platform but this forum here is where I’ll set out the thinking ahead of T-minus 6 months.

We won’t start until June 2020 but it’s important that we have a coherent set of priorities and a good understanding of how we intend to make it all happen. We’ll be planning carefully even though we don’t expect this to survive first contact.

O
Thanks Offgriddle. I feel a bit of a fraud. We will be eschewing the lentil sandals altogether, it is the depth of winter here right now and I’m sat on the terrace in a t-shirt (7.30pm). And by way of example, we purchased a beautiful modern German kitchen which will find its way into the house at some point. The idea is to transform this completely beautiful baron bit of planet into a completely beautiful lush bit of planet. Once we have water and electricity flowing we’re off to the races. The goal is 21st century homesteading.
Dear SQ, your choice to eschew, (meaning to refrain from doing something, [I looked the term "eschew' up]), is absolutely, positively your Bob given right as a sovereign individual; Bravo! Regarding your impending adventure which I trust will be as engaging, rewarding, challenging, and as fulfilling as the offgriddle challenge that I have undertaken in my 45 acre wood some six years hence, I wish you total success and look forward to your progress reports! ☮️

It seems to me that these technologies that you are talking about in the journey are already being used by many companies. When I moved, I had to put up a new fence, and I turned to the company for help, since it was this new and reliable equipment that they used. This was especially important for me, and I made the right choice by ordering https://www.walshlandscaping.co.uk/services/fencing-contractors-maidenhead-ascot/, where I ordered a beautiful and high fence that will last for many years. The order was large and expensive, as the company followed this new technique. Many people know about it, but not everyone practices it, and the order execution takes a little longer, because this is really something new.

Last edited:
Back