diy solar

diy solar

[PSA] Make sure to properly prepare your connections to aluminium terminal posts in order to ensure low contact resistance.

If you have welded-on terminals, then aluminum busbars serve no purpose since you aren't making direct contact with the battery terminal.
If you have welded on terminals then by default, what is welded on is aluminum. Aluminum busbars are still what should be used.

Everything else you said I agree with :)

I have aluminum busbars as well and use the nickel-plated copper ones provided by the vendor because they have worked fine, and were free. If you have welded-on terminals, then aluminum busbars serve no purpose since you aren't making direct contact with the battery terminal.
Thanks for the lengthy reply.
Given the cells I'm waiting for, It seems that using an alu busbar is preferable. Do you agree?

Thanks for your opinion!

Thanks!
Dammm I was not expecting that...
Trying to learn as much as possible... why do you think that? "strange" form factor? other?

Regards
Those terminals are the one's EVE welds in the factory, and to the best of my knowledge are only used by EVE for cells that passed all tests in the factory (that may or may not be true, I've just seen the terminals only used by EVE). So you can be relatively sure you are getting quality cells. It also means the pattern is new and relatively rare, so there are not a lot of options other than the official busbars. I personally like the terminals, others don't, it's subjective. Nothing amazing, just new and different. I'm sure you can use others, but I haven't seen them offered (but I haven't been looking either). Those I know are made of aluminum, the others that vendors weld on I've not checked, I know the stud is stainless steel on mine, not sure what the actual contact area is (but again, different from what you ordered).

Those terminals are the one's EVE welds in the factory, and to the best of my knowledge are only used by EVE for cells that passed all tests in the factory (that may or may not be true, I've just seen the terminals only used by EVE). So you can be relatively sure you are getting quality cells. It also means the pattern is new and relatively rare, so there are not a lot of options other than the official busbars. I personally like the terminals, others don't, it's subjective. Nothing amazing, just new and different. I'm sure you can use others, but I haven't seen them offered (but I haven't been looking either). Those I know are made of aluminum, the others that vendors weld on I've not checked, I know the stud is stainless steel on mine, not sure what the actual contact area is (but again, different from what you ordered).
Thank you very much for your detailed response!
Regards!!

My 2 cents on the topic - oxidation protection is much more important than conductivity. Based on that it doesn't matter much if the lube is going to be silver, carbon, gold, zinc, or whatever. Average silicone lube will offer adequate protection from oxidation. That's what I'm planning to use. As long as it is not getting totally melted at 60-80C.
PSA: *never* use silicone around electrical connections - if MIL-SPEC is to be believed. It is a very effective insulator and will mess up connections like switches, etc.
Again, according to MIL-SPEC.

Back