diy solar

diy solar

PSU instead of Battery

creezo

Hi,

I am planning to create small solar power source for 12V LEDs.
I need about 350W continuously.

Idea is to use one 280Wp panel with PWM/MPPT, but instead of battery connect 24V PSU with diodes array so it wont backfeed the PSU. If I am right, it should use solar power first (slightly higher voltage - 28V) and then take the rest from PSU (24V). I think the solar charger unit will detect the voltage from the PSU and think it is battery at ex. 60% state of charge.

Is it possible (and wise) to use it this way and use as much solar energy as it is possible during the day? I don't want to use mains voltage, just because the price of the 230V hybrid system is not worth it.

Put a diode in series with the PSU as well....12v LEDS on a 24v source?

Put a diode in series with the PSU as well....12v LEDS on a 24v source?
I think he means the PV and psu will both be connected to the input of the SCC, with output going to the battery... then 12V from the load terminals feed the led’s...

Hi,

Idea is to use one 280Wp panel with PWM/MPPT, but instead of battery connect 24V PSU with diodes array so it wont backfeed the PSU. If I am right, it should use solar power first (slightly higher voltage - 28V) and then take the rest from PSU (24V). I think the solar charger unit will detect the voltage from the PSU and think it is battery at ex. 60% state of charge.

Is it possible (and wise) to use it this way and use as much solar energy as it is possible during the day? I don't want to use mains voltage, just because the price of the 230V hybrid system is not worth it.
I am no expert in diode use, but it sounds like it would work to me.
@JeepHammer would know better what diodes will do in this case.

I think he means the PV and psu will both be connected to the input of the SCC, with output going to the battery... then 12V from the load terminals feed the led’s...
Not this way, PV would be the only thing connected to PV input in SCC. It is bad idea to input power into MPPT from PSU, may burn it. I want to input power from PSU directly in battery terminal and put diodes there, so the SCC wont rise voltage in PSU above safe level of 24V.

Don't worry about the voltage, there must be DC-DC 24/12 converter, maybe 2 of them to satisfy the power demand of LEDs (lot of short parallel strips).

EDIT:
There is no battery in the system.

Hi,

Neat idea, wish I had thought of it.

Back