diy solar

diy solar

Pulled the trigger, need a box...

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
OK, I finally did it. I pulled the trigger on my first LFP battery build. I've got:
JBD LFP 4s 120a form AliExpress (I wish it had low temp and BT, but it's a starter battery)
4x EVE LF280 cells from Docan

Now I need to figure out a box. I saw the Interesting Napa Box from the other thread but there were some concerns about fitting the taller 280Ah cells in there and it's pretty pricy for what I need on this project.

Ultimately all I want is a cheap enclosed box that I can have a pair of terminals sticking out the top that will fit my cells and have room for the BMS to not cook off, and a handle would be great if possible too so I can move it easy. All the other parts (fuses, etc) will end up elsewhere.

For y'all that have worked with these cells, can you recommend a cheap case, preferably stocked at Harbor Freight, Coastal Tractor, or Tractor Supply? Amazon works OK too if you know a good link.

I just made mine from wood.just predrill your holes and assemble before you put your cells in.

Attachments

• 20220320_182748.jpg
    20220320_182748.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220116_162945.jpg
    20220116_162945.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220116_162954.jpg
    20220116_162954.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220116_201802.jpg
    20220116_201802.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 52
I built my bank with the DOCAN 304 AH cells. I used the new SOK BMS and it all fits nicely in the NOCO battery box pictured. Battery box is $12 at WalMart and it comes with a strap to secure it and a cover that easily fits over the cells and wiring.

NOCO Battery Box 1.jpg

NOCO Battery Box 2.jpg

Last edited:
I just ordered 4 of these. A bit pricey, but ships from USA.

qYM9twFl.jpg

I built my bank with the DOCAN 304 AH cells. I used the new SOK BMS and it all fits nicely in the NOCO battery box pictured. Battery box is $12 at WalMart and it comes with a strap to secure it and a cover that easily fits over the cells and wiring.

View attachment 95851

View attachment 95852

What’s the point of having double conductor at main terminals, yet only having single conductor between cells?

You’re limited to the most restrictive element, is the thinking of the “bus bar” conductors are so short it doesn’t matter?

I installed dual cables to land on the BMS terminals like the SOK battery my buddy has. I understand the electrical aspect of series circuits but didn't want to assume that I knew more than SOK with regards to landing the wiring on the BMS itself.

But SOK uses bus bars for inter cell connections though.

As long as a single conductor is rated for full BMS rating you’ll probably be fine.

I just now sent the order in for 64 LF280K cells from Docan ... (first time dealing with them).

But I will need a box for a 16 cell 48v battery.... So if you end up building a box, will be interested to see how it can be "expanded". :)

Any box that holds 16 280ah cells better have capability of moving it with a fork lift/pallet jack.

I’m building a “portable” box for 8 230 cells and once said all and done, I hope to be able to muckle on to it and lift it solo without needing my wife to help out, should be around 100lbs.

That's why I went with the 12 V config for my 24 volt RV system - I can move all four batteries into the RV myself (50 lbs. each) and I built my Victron system to be removed from the pass-through by two people, disconnecting only two Anderson connectors and a network connection to the Cerbo unit to do so.

Any box that holds 16 280ah cells better have capability of moving it with a fork lift/pallet jack.

I’m building a “portable” box for 8 230 cells and once said all and done, I hope to be able to muckle on to it and lift it solo without needing my wife to help out, should be around 100lbs.

After dealing with the Trojan 6v FLA's (125 lbs each), These are going to be much nicer to deal with. I still plan on using a lift table/cart to get them in position..

APOLLO Hydraulic Lift Table Elevating Cart Double Scissor Table Cart 43.3" Lifting Height 330lbs Capacity: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I built my own out of ¾ plywood. The box is sitting on a ¾ plywood base with casters. 150ah and 160ah cells.

Attachments

• IMG_20220207_174049292.jpg
    IMG_20220207_174049292.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 75
3D printed mine with aluminum end caps. Not quite done...need to wire up the BMS. There is a cover that goes over the BMS case. Those are insulator pieces between the cells. There are people that put their cells against each other with no insulators...that's a bad move in a mobile environment.

PXL_20220517_052512097.jpg

Last edited:
There are people that put their cells against each other with no insulators...that's a bad move in a mobile environment.
Sssooo... mouse pads? Starter battery on a budget here. :)

I think I'm gonna roll with the WalMart box up there, that's more up my alley.

I just now sent the order in for 64 LF280K cells from Docan ... (first time dealing with them).

But I will need a box for a 16 cell 48v battery.... So if you end up building a box, will be interested to see how it can be "expanded". :)

I don't pretend that mine is going to be portable, but here is my 16s box that I built: My DIY 14.3kwh EVE Battery Box

Back