diy solar

diy solar

Pulled the trigger, need a box...

Sssooo... yyyeaahhh... we're waiting on a ship from Cali to bring us our Guam cargo... they caught the Coof and are having to drift for 10 days...

It's always 6 weeks. :) There are also only 3 days on a ship. Port Day, Not Port Day and Cheeseburger Day.

And we in the Engine Department are pedaling as fast as we can! :oops:

Still need to account for the BMS wire routing, but they work pretty good and makes things a bit safer.

Adjusted the holders to allow for wire routing and finished printing up enough for my first 48v bank. Can also add wires for an active balancer if I decided too later.

I was also thinking of adding in a 1/4 hole through the holders (on the long ends) so that I could run a 1/4" all-thread rod through the entire length just to make it a bit more solid. It would be entirely enclosed by the plastic to no chance of it being exposed.

Took a bit more filament then I had planned, so I need to optimize my infill and support structures when printing....

IMG_0292.jpg

Adjusted the holders to allow for wire routing and finished printing up enough for my first 48v bank. Can also add wires for an active balancer if I decided too later.

I was also thinking of adding in a 1/4 hole through the holders (on the long ends) so that I could run a 1/4" all-thread rod through the entire length just to make it a bit more solid. It would be entirely enclosed by the plastic to no chance of it being exposed.

Took a bit more filament then I had planned, so I need to optimize my infill and support structures when printing....
What holds them(cells) together at the bottom?

Last edited:

View attachment 97025
looks great, good work. thank you for sharing this approach.

great idea about the threaded rod through 3d printed holders concept.

may i ask, what level of infill did you use? printer? slicer? PLA material? sorry if asking redundant that has already been shared

cheers again, NICE looking build!

Currently nothing. I was going to print out some cell holders at the bottom as well, but the battery bank is too large and heavy to move as a single unit anyway. I dont see them shifting any to worry about.

Roy
Oh...so not an RV type application.

may i ask, what level of infill did you use? printer? slicer? PLA material? sorry if asking redundant that has already been shared

It has 20% infill. I thought I needed it, but its plenty rigid with just 2 walls. And since its not intended to move or have any force applied, I can probably get away with as low as 5%. It was done on an Ultimaker 3 using 3 different filaments (since I did not have enough of the same type. I uses PLA, Tough PLA and CPE. If I had enough Tough PLA I would have used that for all of it (is beaves basically like ABS but non of the toxic fumes and easier to print).

Roy

Are you going to do anything to prevent batteries from swelling?
No. I have accounted for the documented spec on swelling (0.5 mm) and have made sure the cells were spaced enough apart. The fixtures are just there to prevent stress on the terminals (in case of swelling) and for safety.

No. I have accounted for the documented spec on swelling (0.5 mm) and have made sure the cells were spaced enough apart. The fixtures are just there to prevent stress on the terminals (in case of swelling) and for safety.
So how do you do that?

So how do you do that?
How do I space them apart? I use the terminal adapters that I designed and 3D printed. They provide about 2.5mm of spacing between each cell, while still holding two cells together so they don't move.

I have also just added a 1/4 hole through the side so that I can then fix all the cells together so they don't separate. I'll use a 1/4 all thread rod through the length of the battery bank. This is NOT used for compression, just to fix them in place for terminal stress relief.

Battery Terminal Protector v9.png

How do I space them apart? I use the terminal adapters that I designed and 3D printed. They provide about 2.5mm of spacing between each cell, while still holding two cells together so they don't move.

I have also just added a 1/4 hole through the side so that I can then fix all the cells together so they don't separate. I'll use a 1/4 all thread rod through the length of the battery bank. This is NOT used for compression, just to fix them in place for terminal stress relief.

View attachment 97132
(2.5 mm) > (1mm = (0.5mm * 2)) so no expectation of cell wall contacting each other.
sound logic from here.

i want to give up on preventing cell wall flexture because it is harder to engineer than preventing cell wall contact under flexture. (0.5mm per cell in this case)

thank you!

EOL condition driven by aluminum wall flex failure AND internal chemical reaction.

unclear which dominates degradation mechanism. looking for answers and questions.

allowing cell flexture (e.g. not fixing with cell walls pushing against each other) is deemed allowable and safe by most manufacturers of cells.

therefore, it is a operational lifetime tradeoff, not a SAFETY tradeoff.

everyone has various economic tradeoffs.

thanks again.

Back