diy solar

diy solar

Pulled The Trigger on a 100ah Battery

@OnTheRoadAgain

Yes, I should cut open another and there are plans to, things are a little crazy at the moment.

In the meantime, I have just pinned a comment on the video about the wire improvement. :)

Ok.

I was not aware of your post about the upgrade in the wire.
However, another member posted a link to the old video with one, 8 gauge wire and raised concerns.

If the same battery now has 6 gauge or two, 8 gauge cables that would be a definite improvement.

Again, I had not seen your post indicating the improvement.

;) There is no reason to assume when the facts are out there and available with 5 minutes of internet searching. Assuming is how misinformation gets started. ;)

90% of the questions asked here could likely be answered that way......if only everyone would just do more internet searching first.
But I like the interaction with others and the live commentary, latest information from active enthusiasts......after all, it's called a "forum" not an "encyclopedia"

I never have any adverse reaction to reading posts self proclaimed as "dumb". No one knows it all. Every post offers something.

This forum would be dead if everyone only did internet research. And internet answers are not always correct.
Yep, I like hearing from live people, enthusiastic about the topic... in real time........with a few exceptions.

Voltage is at at 60% before charging.

Thinking that is reasonable. Will keep an eye on it as you suggested. Thanks for the feedback.

Total voltage = 13.3v, but BMS says 44.59% charge remaining.

RebelBatteries_BMS_1.jpg

Last edited:
The BMS will not report accurate states of charge until the battery has been fully charged and discharged. It might take a couple of cycles. Is that what you are concerned about?

Gazoo....I'm still the "grasshopper" on all this.
Sometimes I'm not even sure what it is I want to know.

Learning curve.

One day I will be one of the "experts" here. Today is not that day.

I pulled the trigger on the Rebel 100Ah Lithium battery and am happy with the packaging and the product received, will test capacity over the weekend. I think bad experiences can happen even with a larger company like Aims Corp as one member chimed in, so I figured I would give this one a shot.

From my perspective, liked the blue-tooth functionality to be able to check on the battery every once in a while and get a sense of usage without having to spend additional money on a separate monitor. Time will tell if this monitor will suit my needs, but I can always add to my system later.

My three choices based on company size (largest to smallest) with blue-tooth monitoring:

Aims Corp
FuelZero
Rebel - LiFePO4 12V 100Ah 1280Wh Bluetooth Enabled Rechargeable Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery - reBel Batteries

Usually I would probably go middle of the road and go with FuelZero as they have an excellent reputation on Ebay, but they were sold out on the capacity I was looking for. As tempting as the warranty was for Aims Corp decided to give this battery a shot since I could not even buy those components for that price and would still have to put it all together.

Anything else I should test besides capacity? Not planning on a full tear down as he has one posted on his site.
Hope they work out for you. I was ready to, but after watching this, I am holding off. Heat generated by your cables is inefficiency, and inefficiency is wasted precious energy from your batteries, it's that simple. In my setup, where my batteries will be housed in the same cabinet with my inverter, extra heat is bad juju!

i use JBD/overkill BMS with balancing enabled for charge+discharge and configured threshold to 3400mVpc or 3.4V

Time to update that old YouTube video that shows one, 8 gauge cable because it's still being used as a talking point here.

It makes a big difference.
Agreed, I posted a comment on that video and owner replied, thankfully, with good news:

Mark, we have improved and doubled up on all current and future batteries. Our new batteries come with 6AWG for the 100AH, and two 6AWG on the 200/300Ah. The battery in this video was version 1.0 and a small batch order. We've also upgraded the BMS, which can now do series or parallel up to 4 batteries. Thanks for the comment.
Hope they work out for you. I was ready to, but after watching this, I am holding off. Heat generated by your cables is inefficiency, and inefficiency is wasted precious energy from your batteries, it's that simple. In my setup, where my batteries will be housed in the same cabinet with my inverter, extra heat is bad juju!
Looks like they've updated the design and gone with 6AWG, or twin 8AWG, so this one is put to bed.

Time to update that old YouTube video that shows one, 8 gauge cable because it's still being used as a talking point here.

It makes a big difference.
Agreed, I posted a comment on that video and owner replied, thankfully, with good news:

Mark, we have improved and doubled up on all current and future batteries. Our new batteries come with 6AWG for the 100AH, and two 6AWG on the 200/300Ah. The battery in this video was version 1.0 and a small batch order. We've also upgraded the BMS, which can now do series or parallel up to 4 batteries. Thanks for the comment.

Back