diy solar

diy solar

Pulled the trigger on a 24v 4800 w/hr LFP with a Growatt 3k MPPT/Charger/Inverter

Kodack

I had been putting off building a solar battery while I learned more about the options available, costs, and all the nitty gritty details. Wills videos helped a LOT in learning about things I never even thought about before.

I had considered the Blueti 2000watt solar generator due to the low cost but I was really put off by it's proprietary nature, reliance on a single LCD screen to control critical functions, and the fact it was 1 bad firmware update away from being a brick. If I'm putting down 2 grand I want to be able to repair/replace parts. Plus I thought I could build something better.

Lets go through the list of what I purchased, not having anything to start with.

3000watt Growat Solar Inverter 24v with 80A MPPT charger.
2x Amperetime 200Ah LFP batteries for 24v with 4800Wh of capacity
GE 6 outlet surge protector to cut in half to feed growatt in, and give outlets on AC output.
WFI 4AWG welding wire 25ft
25W030 Ceramic wire wound resistor for charging caps
Tocas 200 amp circuit breaker with manual reset.
Seloky 38pc copper lug assortment.
Klein CL380 Clamp Meter with DC amp reading
Ginsco 3:1 heat shrink with adhesive
Klein J63050 Journeyman insulated cable cutter
Jokari 10270 cable stripper
Tuffiom Hydraulic terminal crimping tool 12T
PT Polyimide tape

total cost $2868 on Amazon.com with all US shipping. That works out to $.59 a watt hour vs $.91 for the Bluetti. That price and cost per watt hour includes all the tools I had to buy, wires, everything.

My goal was to build a system capable of recharging off solar or AC/GEN, with enough capacity to run a window air conditioner or electric heater, and a computer for several hours during power outages. I live in Texas and I've had way too many power outages the last few years, but most of them are under 2 hours so it should be more than enough to keep me comfortable even in the dead of winter or heat of summer, and if things go out longer than that, I can recharge from solar or a generator.

I plan to install the cells in a plastic storage container with the Growat mounted to the lid. If the power goes out even for short periods, it will be very easy to run a few extension cords to my window unit and computer, or fridge if it lasts longer. If things work well I will add another 4800W/hr in parallel at a later date which should be enough to run my master bedroom overnight during an extended outage.

The Growatt Inverter is a one stop shop. It is an inverter. It's an AC battery charger. It's a MPPT Solar charger. It is also fairly slim for what it does, and seems to be a reliable unit. It's less portable than I wanted, being made for wall mounting, but that is minor. The use case is inside use, in case of power outages, mostly being recharged by AC power, but by 400 watts of panels in an emergency.

Last edited:
Curious how you came up to $2868 total when the batteries are $1200 each. But I was skimming so maybe I missed something.

And if Ur needing split phase (as the title for the listing implies) the seller says u have to buy 2 inverters. But looks interesting. Curious to see how the install and 1st use goes. .. Don't forget pics.

Last edited:
$1200 each? $799 each. There are a few sellers and pages for ampertime on amazon, use Wills link in his latest video, that seller has 100ah for 499 and 200ah for 799.

So $1731 for both batteries total, shipped. The inverter is 799 with prime shipping, and the rest was on the tools and wiring and such. I don't need split phase, nothing I plan to run on it is >120vAC. But I like that if I need to, I can chain the growatt's together for further expansion and split phase or more watts. I think the max is 6 units. The batteries as well are advertised as parallel or series up to 48v so there is a lot of expansion capability. The only real single point of failure is the charger/inverter but I've heard they are very reliable in the mobile community.

Are you hooking this to a solar panel array?
Only for extended outages like the laughably un-rolling blackouts in Texas last month. I plan to have 4 100W panels just in case. I'd use solar more often if I had a good place to put them. I'm in an HOA situation so can't just slap them on the roof without going through a lot of red tape.

Only for extended outages like the laughably un-rolling blackouts in Texas last month. I plan to have 4 100W panels just in case. I'd use solar more often if I had a good place to put them. I'm in an HOA situation so can't just slap them on the roof without going through a lot of red tape.
Lol! Yeah, that was an experience. Ironically I moved all of my solar stuff out to another property right before that happened. My generator was doing a great job 40 miles away sitting in my trailer... Good luck with the build!

I didn't even lose power in North Dallas, but knowing half the state was without due to demand, I couldn't bring myself to turn on the heat, so froze my butt off at 54 inside the house all week. I had 3 quilts and an electric blanket on my bed at night and it was 45 degrees in my back bedroom.

I've had monthly outages, usually just a few seconds, ever since I moved here, going on a decade now. Several hour long outages a few times a year. And I once spent one very cold, very miserable night when it was 17 degrees outside with no power and I had to use my laptop to stay warm by running prime 95 under the covers. I bought a kerosene heater after that lol. It was out 20 hours that day.

so yeah, after a week of wondering when/if the power would go out again, I decided at the very least I was going to have something I could quickly set up during short outages, almost like a UPS (of which I have half a dozen spread all over the house). Generators take time to set up, need gasoline, have to be stored carefully, and have to be run outside, which makes getting power into the house trickier, and it's easy to steal a generator outside, but hard to steal solar panels or an inside battery pack the world doesn't even know you have.

Back