diy solar

diy solar

Pulling 12v off a 24v battery.

IHaveThePower

Is it safe to pull 12v to a dc distribution box off a 24v battery system (2x 12v 200ah)
Or must I buy a dc/dc converter and draw directly from the full string?
I'm wondering how drawing off one side of the string will affect the 24v balance and the shunt readout.

Please download "Wiring Unlimited" and read chapter 3.

In section 3.5 you will find:

It is not allowed to connect loads to the midpoint of a battery bank in order to be able to run loads that require a lower voltage. Doing so will create a large imbalance in a battery bank. This imbalance is much bigger than a battery balancer can potentially rectify (larger than 0.7 A) and the battery that is used to provide the lower voltage will fail prematurely.​

In short, never pull partial voltage from batteries in series. You will need the 24V-12V DC-DC converter.

Please download "Wiring Unlimited" and read chapter 3.

In section 3.5 you will find:

It is not allowed to connect loads to the midpoint of a battery bank in order to be able to run loads that require a lower voltage. Doing so will create a large imbalance in a battery bank. This imbalance is much bigger than a battery balancer can potentially rectify (larger than 0.7 A) and the battery that is used to provide the lower voltage will fail prematurely.​

In short, never pull partial voltage from batteries in series. You will need the 24V-12V DC-DC converter.
Thank you
I figured balance would be thrown out of whack, wasn't sure if the batteries would notice or self balance such small dc loads.
I appreciate the info.

Back