diy solar

diy solar

Pump with solar panel help

Bryan86

Hi all,

I'm looking abit of help with this for I've really confused the h*ll outta myself with so much info online but no answers to the question i have had to this problem.

I have a 12V 10W water pump and want to power it by solar panel alone without a battery system included so it only runs when sun is out to pump water in a homemade solar water heating system then back into the spa with the warmer water made by the sun.
1656963051712.jpg

Above picture is the pump.

I'd like to get a solar panel that would run this without blowing it up ?

The worry is if i bought a solar panel 12V 100W would this or anything to high a wattage be bad for the system planned?
I get that i have to use a 12V panel but the wattage is confusing me.

What solar panel Wattage is to high? What would be the limit to running such a small pump without going to small a panel that would not maintain a good flow?

Much appreciated for your time.

Watts is a measure of electrical power based on current multiplied by voltage. A solar panel rated at 12V is based on Standard Test Conditions and can vary considerably based on temperature, sun angle, clouds Etc. What you really need is a datasheet for the pump so see what the Min and Max voltage is. The total watts of the panel is not as relevant. For example, you could install 1,000 watts or even 10,000 watts worth of solar panels and if the output is only 12V then the pump will only consume what it is capable of.
Don't pay so much attention to the watts, its the voltage that matters. If its too low the pump will not run, if too high it could damage the pump. On an overcast, cloudy day there is still a good amount of thermal energy to be captured but the solar panel may not produce enough voltage to move water. Its much better to use a charge controller and a small 12V battery to regulate the system voltage, the pump will run much more consistently.

Watts is a measure of electrical power based on current multiplied by voltage. A solar panel rated at 12V is based on Standard Test Conditions and can vary considerably based on temperature, sun angle, clouds Etc. What you really need is a datasheet for the pump so see what the Min and Max voltage is. The total watts of the panel is not as relevant. For example, you could install 1,000 watts or even 10,000 watts worth of solar panels and if the output is only 12V then the pump will only consume what it is capable of.
Don't pay so much attention to the watts, its the voltage that matters. If its too low the pump will not run, if too high it could damage the pump. On an overcast, cloudy day there is still a good amount of thermal energy to be captured but the solar panel may not produce enough voltage to move water. Its much better to use a charge controller and a small 12V battery to regulate the system voltage, the pump will run much more consistently.
I wouldn't have a clue about getting the datasheet for the pump, i do know it can run slightly lower voltage as I've tested it with 11.1V battery and gets a good flow.
Pump link above, it's a solar pump but no specs given for the panel needed or what it's max Voltage /wattage.

Understandable everything is better on a normal system with battery backup & i agree that it does benefit those looking battery pack system but the system im working on is only needed in direct sunlight as it'll flows water in and out of a homemade heating system.
1656971780129.jpg
Picture above is working progress, not finished. Gone hillbilly with this project ?
I've no need for this to run while cloudy, the plan is to pump water within homemade heating system whilst sun shines & turns itself off when sun isn't visible.
No sun = no hot water so no need for pump at those times if you get what I'm doing/trying todo.

I think you've answered my question? As long as the voltage on panel is 12V it doesn't matter on the wattage? Correct me if I'm wrong?
It would be great to get one alot higher wattage than needed for later projects than this one needs, the worry was I'd blow the pump before even getting this going.
Much appreciated for your time as i was really confusing myself to the info i could find online.

Back