diy solar

diy solar

pumping water without batteries

Thanks for updating the OP with more information.

Facts: Run a .37 kW pump without batteries, 2x 165W panels
Question: How long can the panels power the pump on an average day.

Theory: Without a battery/capacitor to act as a buffer, the pump can only run while the panels output more power than are are used. Panels only provide their maximum rating at solar noon. Using the chart to the right you can use the SRU as a percentage of the panels maximum.

Answer: 0 hours; 2x165*.8 = 264 Watts which is less than 370 watts.

Question 2: What gear should I use?
Practical considerations like that need real experience, hopefully one of the other embers can help you out.
Intensity_small-psmfb4.png
So that's no fun. Lets make it 4 panels so we can run through the math. At 4 panels it's 2x264=528 watts. As long as the panels are over 370 watts the pump should run. So, 375/528 = 71%. At 71% the sun is 45 degrees in the sky. So that's 45 degrees before solar noon plus 45 after solar noon, or 90 degrees.

The earth rotates at 15 degrees per hour, so the pump should run 90/15 = 6 hours. That assumes the panels are always tilted perpendicular to the sun (i.e., you're out there adjusting them every day) In practice probably 4 to 5 hours per day, plus without buffering for steady operation the pump will get more wear and tear.

How much longer would the pump run if I added a battery to 4 panels?
(Aside: @MrNatural22's post on batteries might interest you)

Let's assume a solar insolation of 5, so 528x5=2525 W. Which if you captured all of it via a battery could run the pump 2525 / 370 = 6.8 hours. But the round trip on a lithium might only be 90% efficient, so 6.8 x .9 = 6 hours. Since that uses the insolation map it's an average throughout the year without adjusting the panels.

With a battery, could 2 panels run it?
264x5 = 1320 watt hours. Pump takes 370 watt hours and battery 90% efficient round trip, so 1320 *.9 / 370 = 3.2 hours
Thanks for the information, I will probably try it without batteries first and if needed add them later. Nick

Well most SCC require batteries to work properly. But there are many solar powered water pumps out there. Im wondering if a cheap buck converter out there would do the trick for you though. It seems to me you just need something to prevent from over voltage.
Thanks, Nick

Let us know how it goes! Really curious after this discussion as to how well theory will match up with practice.

Hey Nick -many farmers in Australia use solar pumps that need no batteries. I know my cousin has a few on his beef cattle property. I dont know what brand he has. The first link definitely has no batteries. The second link has a controller box - I guess it cuts in the pump when the power is large enough.

This one can take ac and dc -must be a rectifier in it etc. Has under and over voltage protection too - all at a price -no batteries.

Last edited:
I tried to do this to run a filter on my tiny pond. First you need a battery capacity of, let's say, roughly 10 amp hours. Or you can calculate how much power your pump will use in 18 hours, assuming only 6 hours of decent sun used for charging each day. Then you need solar panels to charge up 10AH in just 6 hours of sun each day. That's a tall order which can quickly get expensive.

All in all, it was cheaper for me to get a grid powered water pump for my pond as grid power is cheap where I am at $.10/kwh.

However I did power my bubbler/aerator for my small pond using solar with no battery as the bubbler is only needed during the hot daylight hours anyway. I have fish (goldfish) in the pond and they are used to cooler waters with more oxygen.

Last edited:
If I can offer a solution here.

There are tons of cattle watering systems out there that work really really well for filling large water bins for the animals.
They are brain dead simple.
Google them

At one of our forestry camps beside a small lake 40 miles from anywhere. This is for summer only only btw.
The lake is 100 feet or so with grade of about 6 feet.
We use a dc powered pump well pump (I think I paid 250 bucks on ebay) that pumps from the lake up to a rainbarrel with a small float switch that shuts it off after its full. The wiring runs back to the pump. We have an overflow pipe for spillage is needed that runs into the woods.
It is in 10 feet of water and is held up by an airtight empty plastic bottle.

Heres a video of a fancier one that has everything included. I would extend the wire of the floart switch since our tanl is 100 feet away.

Im tellin ya its braindead simple. I think there is 150 watt panel on a tree.

We then use another shurflo inline pump hooked to the DC side of our charge controller/battery to pump into the cabin from the rain barrel.
We use a propane just in time heater to heat the hot water side.
One catch on this - your shurflo pump pumping through the heater MUST produce over 25lbs pressure or the propane heater wont light.

Anyway look up Dc well pumps
Shurflo inline pumps
Or cattle watering systems.

Last edited:
You might enjoy the PV Direct playlist on Engineer775's YouTube channel. He has all sorts of water conveyance and heating systems using PV panels and no batteries.

I have 2 -165 watt 36 volt panels and a 24 volt brush-less submersible well pump. I would like to pump water without batteries. Any suggestion on a controller and with no batteries is there any advantage of a MPPT over the cheaper PWM. Additional information: The pump label says 16 amps - .37 Kw I have more panels I can add to system, all I want to do is pump water for irrigation when there is enough sun shining. Since the controller seems like a switch is there an advantage of the MPPT over the PWM in a no battery situation. New to solar, but thanks to William's YouTube videos and book I am starting to learn. Thanks Nick

I have 2 -165 watt 36 volt panels and a 24 volt brush-less submersible well pump. I would like to pump water without batteries. Any suggestion on a controller and with no batteries is there any advantage of a MPPT over the cheaper PWM. Additional information: The pump label says 16 amps - .37 Kw I have more panels I can add to system, all I want to do is pump water for irrigation when there is enough sun shining. Since the controller seems like a switch is there an advantage of the MPPT over the PWM in a no battery situation. New to solar, but thanks to William's YouTube videos and book I am starting to learn. Thanks Nick
I have been doing this for about four months now. I have been using 2- 295 watt panels my pump requires only 370 watts at 21 to 29 volts rated 24VDC. I needed to use a buck converter to use a level switch to shut down the pump if the water level went down to close to the pump. The converter gives me a steady 24.1 volts with a max of 480 watts output. I have been running pump relay and switches from the converter. This set up works pretty good for about 8 hours a day fall and winter in NW Oklahoma. The flow from the pump is less early in the morning and late in the afternoon. It will not pump after sundown without a storage battery if you want a battery it would last better and be safer to have a charge controller. Good luck Nick.

we have a LORENTZ system, 8 panels ( 2 sets of 4), controller and submersible pump, pumps water up to tanks on a hill to feed the farm. so yes you can have a system that only runs when the sun shines and no batteries.

I have been using a grundfos SQflex pump solar direct for 10 plus years. The pump is pricey but worth every penny. It runs on AC or DC with an imput of as little as 100 watts. The advantage of this type of pump is you can power it with a generator if needed. If you can afford it, it is the only way to go, giving you the most options on how to power it.

Ram pumps are great but also very noisy. They are also pretty cheap. Here is another alternative Though relatively expensive at 1k.
Im considering trying one of these in my off grid.
Did you ever try this water powered pump?

There are several people using a super/ultra capacitor bank to run things that have motors
check out this YouTube video his capacitor bank allows him to run a cement mixer

The advantage to Supercapacitors are that they don't suffer from low charge and cycling degradation like batteries

Ok, I was not even remotely aware of ram pumping. This is way cool. I have a stream with 2 small waterfalls running thru my property. Wheels be turning.....
Just go to Youtube and search for ram pump. Lots of fun videos there. Although some water is wasted using this powerless pump, you can still pump a long ways horizontally and vertically.

All you need is a solar Grundfos pump, it will run off just solar panels, My Grundfos 11 SQF-2 runs on as low as 36 volts dc- 60 Watts, it has a a controller built in. Although that is minimums to operate for the full 13 GPM up to 390 ft head it requires 500 Watts , the thing about this pump is it will run on 90-240 Volts AC, 36- 140 Volts DC, it can be run off , panels, batteries, generators, inverters or grid power and it doesn't matter how you hook up the 3 wires. it can be laid down horizontally or in a pipe as small as 3", it's all stainless steel with multistage helical gears, run dry sensors already installed. They have a good selection of pumps for solar ranging from less watts lower gpm, deeper depths with higher watts. These are routinely used in remote panel only watering. Search hard for best pricing, they start new at about $1250. I have had one since 2004.

Just go to Youtube and search for ram pump. Lots of fun videos there. Although some water is wasted using this powerless pump, you can still pump a long ways horizontally and vertically.
well its not "powerless" is uses the force of running water aka gravity

Back