diy solar

diy solar

pumping water without batteries

I am new here, was researching on best way to go about my setup.

I have a 12v 200ah battery, powered by 2 x 250w mono panels in series, hooked up to a 50amps, 12v/24v fangpusun mppt charge controller. all this connected to a 12v 850va inverter. Now i want to add a submersible pump to the mix.

I am considering 2 options
A. buy a 12v 180w pump, and connect it directly to the battery, my major challenge is that its in a remote location, and i would only want the submersible pump to come on only when the sun is bright, so as not to excessively drain the battery. is there an easy way to conviently automate this??

B. buy a 24v/48v submersible pump, and connect it at the pv input terminal of the charge controller, that way.the pump peeds off power from the pv, without drawing power from the battery. i would simply throw in a dc timer switch to enable power to the pump btw 9am and 4pm,

in the 2 options above, i would need to figure out how to wire a float switch to the overhead tank, so as to cut off power to the pump when full

Last edited:

I have a 12v 200ah battery, powered by 2 x 250w mono panels in series, hooked up to a 50amps, 12v/24v fangpusun mppt charge controller. all this connected to a 12v 850va inverter. Now i want to add a submersible pump to the mix.

A. buy a 12v 180w pump, and connect it directly to the battery, my major challenge is that its in a remote location, and i would only want the submersible pump to come on only when the sun is bright, so as not to excessively drain the battery. is there an easy way to conviently automate this??

B. buy a 24v submersible pump, and connect it at the pv input terminal of the charge controller, that way.the pump peeds off power from the pv, without drawing power from the battery. i would simply throw in a dc timer switch to enable power to the pump btw 9am and 4pm,

in the 2 options above, i would need to figure out how to wire a float switch to the overhead tank, so as to cut off power to the pump when full
Use a pressure sensor, once the tank is full and the ball cock closes the pressure builds up in the pipe, pressure senor trips telling pump to stop dumping, once the pressure drops, tells the pump to start pumping again. or just have an overflow on the tank as sun is free.

What kind of SCC do you have?
How many volts are your panels where they enter SCC

My SCC is a 12v/24v 50amps fangpusun mppt..
My panels are 24v connected in series, btw 60v n 45v is displayed on the SCC.
I could get a 48v submersible pump as well.
My major concern is if there would be ill effects of tapping pump power supply from the Scc pv input

@berserker

B. buy a 24v/48v submersible pump, and connect it at the pv input terminal of the charge controller, that way.the pump peeds off power from the pv, without drawing power from the battery. i would simply throw in a dc timer switch to enable power to the pump btw 9am and 4pm,

Put a voltmeter on the input terminals of your charge controller. If there is battery equivalent voltage at night then you will need to put an on/off control for your pump to keep from draining your batteries over night.
Keep in mind the less expensive diaphragm and brushed motors are higher maintenance, having run solar wells for 20 years, my experience is these pumps need replaced or repaired(if you can find the parts) every 3-5 years. you need to calculate well depth, run and vertical distance up hill, diameter of vertical pipe, gallons expected per day in order to size your pump and panels.

Back