diy solar

diy solar

Pure Sine Wave?

mwheel

Hi folks. I'll be housesitting for the next few months at my old place. This is an off grid home with solar and wind charging a 24V battery bank. AC is delivered by an old Xantrex Trace PS Series inverter. I bought it used in 2004, and was never sure whether its output was a square or pure sine wave.
Is anyone familiar enough with their older gear to know this? Can't find the answer in the owner's manual.
If it's square/modified, does anyone know whether there's an affordable device which could plug into an AC socket and convert the current to a cleaner sine wave safer for modern electronics?
Many thanks for any guidance.

To clean up a modified-sine output you’d need a band pass filter (60 Hz) than can handle heavy loads (1500W). If such a beast exits it’ll probably cost more than a pure sine inverter.

If you need a pure sine wave inverter,the better order a new one,it is impossible to converter a modified inverter to a pure sine wave inverter by some small changes,because their inside circuit board and transformer are different.

I don't understand why MSW inverters are sold. I don't expect the cost between the two designs to be more than a few percent of the total price. Anybody?

I don't understand why MSW inverters are sold.
Agree. I guess that these were quite complicated things to manufacture a couple of decades ago and pure sine wave was almost sci-fi back then but the world have moved forward quite a bit... And the "old goodies" still do the job in most cases... I would never buy other than pure sine wave these days even when there still is a noticeable price gap...

Agree. I guess that these were quite complicated things to manufacture a couple of decades ago and pure sine wave was almost sci-fi back then but the world have moved forward quite a bit... And the "old goodies" still do the job in most cases... I would never buy other than pure sine wave these days even when there still is a noticeable price gap...
As far as I know the losses are a bit higher with sine wave so a bigger heatsink. Microprocessor power is very inexpensive these days so that shouldn't be an issue.

Xantrex Trace PS Series inverter is a version of the original SW series sinewave inverters.

It is a stepped sinewave inverter. It is not a simple three step MSW inverter. Waveform output looks like following.

SW-Waveforms sinewave combined output.jpg

Aren’t ALL inverters step sine? I mean, sure, modern ones are MUCH smaller steps, but I would call that wave a sine, not a modified sine…
I doubt it will harm anything.

Back