diy solar

diy solar

Push button for inverter pre charge switch? Momentary switch ok??

Fixed At Last...

To recap...
I'm running a EG4 24v (no screen) battery with a Aeliussine 2000 watt 24v Pure Sine Wave Inverter. I have been trying everything under the sun to start this inverter without the BMS faulting... NO success. I've tried every suggestion tossed out from SS... including installing their recommended, expensive, "true Fast Snap" breaker instead of the heavy duty (cheap & slow) car battery disconnect switch I've been using (see photo below). Nothing worked... including everything you've read in the above posts and other threads. I've tried numerous different pre-charge resistors to slow the capacitor inrush. All failed.

UNTIL I tried a 50w / 25ohm wire wound resistor from Amazon... $9 for two (I used only one).

Inverter Switch 1.jpg

It WORKED... every time!! Keep in mind I've been working on this since March !!!
As others have suggested you just have to set up a parallel line from the battery to the inverter that includes this resistor AND a momentary button switch (see photo). The wire can be small gauge (12awg in my case) since current is reduced by the resistor and only runs for a few seconds.

My procedure is as follows...
1) the main line from the 24v EG4 battery to my 12v RV breaker panel is on... via a Victron 70A 24v-to-12v step-down converter.
2) the 50A Epever solar controller and panels (600w in my case) are all connected (not enough capacity to use the "Solar Start" EG4 method others have suggested).
3) the inverter (on-box) switch is on. Not using the remote switch.
4) I hold down the momentary "pre-charge" button which causes the inverter to begin beeping and it's status screen to begin flashing due to a low-voltage state (capacitor inrush is stealing everything the resistors are allowing through).
5) after about 3 or 4 beeps (about 5 seconds) the inverter goes silent and I can see that the status screen has also stopped flashing, indicating a non-error state.
6) now, WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN THE BUTTON, I flip the master inverter switch (keyed hole at center in photo). The red-handled switch on the right (photo) is just an example of what this type of switch looks like in back and with red handle inserted.
7) only now do I release the momentary pre-charge button.
8) the inverter screen stays on and I... at LONG last... am a very Happy Camper !!!
Thanks for adding this update as I've been searching for a few solutions as my JK BMS is having issues when I go turning on my Samlex inverter. I have a portable setup and only need the inverter time to time so I also do not like the parasitic draw and like having it off until needed. Due to my tight space and difficult build I will have to see what I can do.

Back