diy solar

diy solar

PV configuration for 3 growatt spf 5000 es

Retire 4?
8S1P = 8 Panels..
You will need a bigger cable to do 6S2P(12) to use the other 4 panels..
Lol so 8s 1 p = 8
I was thinking 8 would be series plus 1 parallel. Wire is 8 gage 150ft that should handle that with a little less than 2% loss. If I did that I would only retire 1 panel. Your thoughts?

Lol so 8s 1 p = 8
I was thinking 8 would be series plus 1 parallel. Wire is 8 gage 150ft that should handle that with a little less than 2% loss. If I did that I would only retire 1 panel. Your thoughts?
The amount you parallel must be equal to number of panels in the series:

8s1p = 8
8s2p = 16
8s3p = 24

You cant parallel 1. I cant tell you what will happen if you do but i guarantee it will be bad.

If you want to use more than the 24 panels safely (3x8), you have to run a bigger cable.

The amount you parallel must be equal to number of panels in the series:

8s1p = 8
8s2p = 16
8s3p = 24

You cant parallel 1. I cant tell you what will happen if you do but i guarantee it will be bad.

If you want to use more than the 24 panels safely (3x8), you have to run a biger cable
Now I'm beginning to understand, thanks for helping. So with the 12 newly added panels I could only use 8 series. Or 6 series 6 parallel and that would be written 6s1p x2. If I did that what size cable? Would that work?

Now I'm beginning to understand, thanks for helping. So with the 12 newly added panels I could only use 8 series. Or 6 series 6 parallel and that would be written 6s1p x2. If I did that what size cable? Would that work?
It would be 6s2p, do you know how to wire this? I'm asking because once you understand the wiring principle it will become clearer to you..

You will need 10 AWG/6mm²(~3% loss) not too sure what is the units you guys are using there but I'm sure you can find out..

It would be 6s2p, do you know how to wire this? I'm asking because once you understand the wiring principle it will become clearer to you..

You will need 10 AWG/6mm²(~3% loss) not too sure what is the units you guys are using there but I'm sure you can find out..
Yes I think so, correct me if I'm wrong. I will wire 2 groups of 6 panels in series and then conect the 2 groups of 6 together in parallel.

49.35V x6 =296.10 VOC 10.96 Amp
Over all 296.10 VOC 21.92 Amp
I have 8 gage wire, should be okay.
I will leave my existing 8 series aray x 2 as is. That configuration would use all panels. Does this look right and best configuration?

Yes I think so, correct me if I'm wrong. I will wire 2 groups of 6 panels in series and then conect the 2 groups of 6 together in parallel.

49.35V x6 =296.10 VOC 10.96 Amp
Over all 296.10 VOC 21.92 Amp
I have 8 gage wire, should be okay.
I will leave my existing 8 series aray x 2 as is. That configuration would use all panels. Does this look right and best configuration?
Or would 5 series x2 then paralleled be better that would retire 4.

In your first post you stated that your panels were 320ft away. Now you are saying it is 150ft.
Either way if the conductors are #8 gauge (according to your statements) , they are adequate for any configuration with the Growatt SPF-5000-ES. (22 Max amp draw)

In your first post you stated that your panels were 320ft away. Now you are saying it is 150ft.
Either way if the conductors are #8 gauge (according to your statements) , they are adequate for any configuration with the Growatt SPF-5000-ES. (22 Max amp draw)
Yes, I made a mistake in origonal distance, it is 150ft. They are #8. Thanks for your help.

So after all this discussion how would you configure the 12 new panels?

Hi guys, I appreciate all your help. Incase you missed this. I have been running the 16 Aptos panels split in to 2 series arays, 8 each, feeding 1 growatt each for year now. The 3 growatts have been preforming well useng grid as backup SBU. The 12 new panels are my expansion along with 7 EG4 LLv2 48V batteries. I will be feeding the 3rd Growatt with the new 12 panel aray, 1 pair of 8 gage wires are in place for this aray. I want to leave the Aptos alone unless we have a good reason to change. Panels are mounted waiting to be hooked up.
Do you think 2 groups of 6 seriesed then paralleled. I think you express this as 6s2p will work good. You should also know that this last array has some late afternoon shade untell I take some trees out.

Hi guys, I appreciate all your help. Incase you missed this. I have been running the 16 Aptos panels split in to 2 series arays, 8 each, feeding 1 growatt each for year now. The 3 growatts have been preforming well useng grid as backup SBU. The 12 new panels are my expansion along with 7 EG4 LLv2 48V batteries. I will be feeding the 3rd Growatt with the new 12 panel aray, 1 pair of 8 gage wires are in place for this aray. I want to leave the Aptos alone unless we have a good reason to change. Panels are mounted waiting to be hooked up.
Do you think 2 groups of 6 seriesed then paralleled. I think you express this as 6s2p will work good. You should also know that this last array has some late afternoon shade untell I take some trees out.

Its up to you, I believe timselectric prefers a safer approach which would be the 7series, I respect his opinion.
I do not have the experience with the voltage increase in cold weathers, where I live it never goes under 20c.

Personally I would go with the 8/8/6s2p.
If I got it correctly your "8 gauge" cable is also called "8 AWG" and if that is correct you can safely wire the 6s2p using your existing cable.

Better if you attend to the shading sooner than later, remember if only 1 panel is shaded its the equivalent of all the panels on the string shaded.

remember if only 1 panel is shaded its the equivalent of all the panels on the string shaded.
That used to be the case, 20 years ago.
Almost all solar panels are equipped with bypass diodes, now.

Its up to you, I believe timselectric prefers a safer approach which would be the 7series, I respect his opinion.
I do not have the experience with the voltage increase in cold weathers, where I live it never goes under 20c.

Personally I would go with the 8/8/6s2p.
If I got it correctly your "8 gauge" cable is also called "8 AWG" and if that is correct you can safely wire the 6s2p using your existing cable.

Better if you attend to the shading sooner than later, remember if only 1 panel is shaded its the equivalent of all the panels on the string shaded.
Yes it is 8 AWG so no worries there. I think the 6s2p config is a safe way to go with the new 12 panels. That way I don't have to retire any. I will monitor the 8s panels on cold mornings to see what they are at, no load. Had it not been a full year I would consider changing but will check. Thanks a bunch!!!

It only takes one time to let the magic smoke out.
But, it's your money to gamble with.
May lady luck be always at your side.

It only takes one time to let the magic smoke out.
But, it's your money to gamble with.
May lady luck be always at your side.
What do you calculate my max VOC would be on those 8 seriesed Aptos 440 watt panels at 10 degrees ferenhight?

What do you calculate my max VOC would be on those 8 seriesed Aptos 440 watt panels at 10 degrees ferenhight?
It depends on what the temperature coefficient is for your panels. Generally i recommend that the panel VOC is no more than 85% of the SCC VOC.
But I also know from experience with these units. That they seem to be the happiest, running at 300 volts.

Back