diy solar

diy solar

PV monitoring

Freckster

I have 3 dozen used residential panels. I currently have 12 panels setup in two parallel 3S2P configurations. These are feeding a Bluetti AC300 sogen.

I want to put an identical second configuration on my roof (I have the panels and roof space). I want to be able to monitor each 3S2P configuration and select the one that is performing the best at any given time.

Each leg going into my sogen cannot exceed 150v. I don’t want to over complicate the solution or pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a simple monitoring device. Most of the devices I’m coming across will only handle up to 60 V and I need one that will handle just over 150 V. To get the full range of data like this Powerwerk unit would be optimal.

Ideas? Thanks

91BB5591-7EA4-45ED-9F91-3DE505638993.pngB5598DB1-6069-4829-BEB4-3DE800B051FD.jpeg

Attachments

• FC5543FC-BA93-4572-BE4F-8DBA752EC355.png
    FC5543FC-BA93-4572-BE4F-8DBA752EC355.png
    997.1 KB · Views: 4
How do you envision this actually working? Meters like that require a current to flow at a voltage to get a power reading, i.e., there's no way to see which one is performing better unless it's connected to the AC300.

I presume the AC300 reports how much you're getting from solar. Simply switch back and forth between them and use the display to determine which one is performing better yet.

Best idea:

Fuse each string and have a 3S4P array always connected to the AC300.

Yeah I was thinking there has to be a load to get a reading.

So my strings are 114v and 8.29a making each array 114v and 16.58a. Two of these feed into my sogen. You’re suggesting I go to from 3S2P to 3S4P.
Sorry to be a dumba**, but fuse together how so? And in doing so my sogen will always pull the max without exceeding the voltage? Please, teach me.

Label is fine.

So, you already have 3060W of solar installed (12X 255W)?

You say you have two separate 3S2P arrays. Isn't that just a 3S4P array? If so, that's:

114V and 35.56A

AC300 input:

Solar Input: 2,400W Max., VOC 12-150VDC, 12A

12A is the MAXIMUM PV current the AC300 will draw from the panels. Your existing array is already supplying nearly 3X the current that it can use. As it stands, your Vmp dictates that your unit can only use about 1100W of your 3060W array. I also think the 2400W max is an over-paneling limit, i.e., you already have too much PV on it.

I didn't realize the AC300 had so little MPPT capacity. I apologize for the diversion. I would not add any additional solar to it.

EDIT: Okay, I actually looked at the manual rather than the spec sheet. it' looks like there's 2 12A inputs, so it's not as handicapped as I thought. now it makes a little more sense why you specified 2X 3S2P arrays.

Still, you're already 50% over paneled, so I still wouldn't push it any further.

Last edited:
I have 3 dozen used residential panels. I currently have 12 panels setup in two parallel 3S2P configurations. These are feeding a Bluetti AC300 sogen.

I want to put an identical second configuration on my roof (I have the panels and roof space). I want to be able to monitor each 3S2P configuration and select the one that is performing the best at any given time.

Each leg going into my sogen cannot exceed 150v. I don’t want to over complicate the solution or pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a simple monitoring device. Most of the devices I’m coming across will only handle up to 60 V and I need one that will handle just over 150 V. To get the full range of data like this Powerwerk unit would be optimal.

Ideas? Thanks

View attachment 98464View attachment 98465
Buy another Bluetti for your second set of panels.

Each leg going into my sogen cannot exceed 150v. I don’t want to over complicate the solution or pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a simple monitoring device
That’s the thing about components- way more battery and easy to monitor. I’d just have two separate SCCs going to a single battery bank and let her rip. The SCCs would record the kWh individually but no switching or second guessing - just let it run automagically

Overpanel the Bluetti and take the rest of the panels connect them to an AIO unit and charge the Bluetti with the ac simultaneously. If you added the appropriate amount of batteries you could charge the Bluetti overnight using ac and be able to pump in over 5000w to the Bluetti when the sun is up.

Isn't this the disadvantage of something like the Bluetti?

You can't upgrade any single component or add more of one component.
Yes but I guess he already offloaded the cash but the added SCC box is a good idea.
Not a fan of the suitcases, though, because they’re so expensive and so limited.

Back