diy solar

diy solar

PV Panel Mechanical Standards

Dutchman

As far as I can tell there dooesn’t seem to be any standard for the physical size of PV panels. Perhaps I have just missed it, but are they just made to whatever standard every different manufacturer chooses? Or is there a set of sizes specified by some engineering association ?

As far as I can tell there dooesn’t seem to be any standard for the physical size of PV panels. Perhaps I have just missed it, but are they just made to whatever standard every different manufacturer chooses? Or is there a set of sizes specified by some engineering association ?

They are made to the size needed to accommodate the cell efficiency, size and count to achieve the desired output.

Forcing a frame size would severely restrict all other aspects of panel design.

They are made to the size needed to accommodate the cell efficiency, size and count to achieve the desired output.

Forcing a frame size would severely restrict all other aspects of panel design.
I don’t know about severely as you say . But having standardized frames seems would make racking and roofing systems a lot easier.

I don’t know about severely as you say . But having standardized frames seems would make racking and roofing systems a lot easier.

Existing racking systems can be made to work with almost any panel due to the racking design. They don't depend on a specific panel size just that the panels have mounting holes consistently between panels of the same make and model.

Think about the implications of a standard size on the PV manufacturers. The only panel anyone would want is the panel with the highest efficiency because you'd get the most power in that size.

Back