diy solar

diy solar

PV stripper and 8awg crimper, success!

Firstascent

Solar Enthusiast
I’m a big fan of tools that just work, and using a razor blade for the thick insulation on PV wire wasn’t an option.

i came across these tools from Rennsteig (I love me some good German tools) and just tested them for the first time today and they’re perfect!

The stripper is specifically for 8/10/12awg wire and cuts through thick/tough insulation very well! Has an adjustable depth gauge for stripping the right amount off. Very very happy with this.

then onto the crimper, I needed a good MC4 crimp tool for 8awg wire/connectors. The handles are similar style to other ratcheting die crimp tools, the die I chose is specifically for open style 10/12awg (your typical style) MC4 connectors but then for closed barrel style 8awg MC4 connectors. The crimp is solid and perfect! I went back and forth on getting the crimp tool as I have some good crimp tools for your typical lug crimps and these aren’t cheap, but I wanted to know I had a good crimp and not have to second guess it.

so for me, it was worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_5283.jpeg
    IMG_5283.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5285.jpeg
    IMG_5285.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5286.jpeg
    IMG_5286.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5288.jpeg
    IMG_5288.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5289.jpeg
    IMG_5289.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5301.jpeg
    IMG_5301.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5302.jpeg
    IMG_5302.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5304.jpeg
    IMG_5304.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5305.jpeg
    IMG_5305.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5306.jpeg
    IMG_5306.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 31
Nice! How expensive are they? From Amazon?
They were $125 for the stripper and $330 for the crimp tool with die.

both the stripper and the crimp handles both have quite the multitude of dies to choose from depending on your specific needs and a lot of solar specific options as well.
Links below where I purchased mine from, very knowledgeable guys, fast shipping too. I called them a few times to talk options and I had a really great experience.

stripper

Crimper

They were $125 for the stripper and $330 for the crimp tool with die.

both the stripper and the crimp handles both have quite the multitude of dies to choose from depending on your specific needs and a lot of solar specific options as well.
Links below where I purchased mine from, very knowledgeable guys, fast shipping too. I called them a few times to talk options and I had a really great experience.

stripper

Crimper
The stripper is worth it to me. I will check out the crimper, I assume they carry the connectors as well?

The stripper is worth it to me. I will check out the crimper, I assume they carry the connectors as well?
That’s how I felt too, for the extra thick and tough insulation these strippers are great.

Yes they have connectors as well, I’m using the Staubli MC4 connectors.

I’m a big fan of tools that just work, and using a razor blade for the thick insulation on PV wire wasn’t an option.

i came across these tools from Rennsteig (I love me some good German tools) and just tested them for the first time today and they’re perfect!

The stripper is specifically for 8/10/12awg wire and cuts through thick/tough insulation very well! Has an adjustable depth gauge for stripping the right amount off. Very very happy with this.

then onto the crimper, I needed a good MC4 crimp tool for 8awg wire/connectors. The handles are similar style to other ratcheting die crimp tools, the die I chose is specifically for open style 10/12awg (your typical style) MC4 connectors but then for closed barrel style 8awg MC4 connectors. The crimp is solid and perfect! I went back and forth on getting the crimp tool as I have some good crimp tools for your typical lug crimps and these aren’t cheap, but I wanted to know I had a good crimp and not have to second guess it.

so for me, it was worth it.
Did you happen to get the die for "standard" connectors like ring terminals, etc in the 10AWG to 18AWG range? I have that same tool with MC4 connector die I'm struggling to find a tool I like for standard connectors.

Did you happen to get the die for "standard" connectors like ring terminals, etc in the 10AWG to 18AWG range? I have that same tool with MC4 connector die I'm struggling to find a tool I like for standard connectors.
I did not get any additional die for it. For smaller connectors like you're referring to I'm currently using, and am happy with the Knipex 97 33 02 MultiCrimp tool. It's got 5 different dies for various connectors.

But if you just need 1-2 die and you know what you want, it's probably cheaper to just buy the separate Rennsteig. They have ton of options on their site and for most even provide links to vendors that might have it on stock as well.

I did not get any additional die for it. For smaller connectors like you're referring to I'm currently using, and am happy with the Knipex 97 33 02 MultiCrimp tool. It's got 5 different dies for various connectors.

But if you just need 1-2 die and you know what you want, it's probably cheaper to just buy the separate Rennsteig. They have ton of options on their site and for most even provide links to vendors that might have it on stock as well.
Thank you for the suggestions. That Rennsteig die is around $80 from the a few vendors. I had not bumped into that Knipex. It's a pricey one but I sure like my other Knipex tools.

When it comes to crimping tools the old saying "buy once cry once" is certainly appropriate. I'm tired of crying with cheap ones as I've got a drawer full of crappy ones to prove it.

Back