diy solar

diy solar

PV wire splice

400bird

Solar Wizard
I just pulled the trigger and ordered more solar stuff!

My concern at the moment is the length of the PV cable on the Tigo RDS boxes.

Both the Tigo single and dual shut down boxes, combined with the panel leads, don't have enough length to make it work.

How would you splice more length onto the Tigo pig tail?
I could go with or build MC4 extensions. But with all the horror stories of bad MC4 connections starting fires and being generally problematic, I think I'd be better off to cut and splice in a longer wire.

I've already own correct PV wire.

The question is about a splice.
I have my doubts about a butt splice under the panels. Even a heat shrink "wet" butt splice. But, I'm not coming up with much for better options.

Just buy MC4 connectors and always mate the same manufacturers. Buy the correct crimping tool and make extension cables. Keep the MC4 connectors up away from the roof and away from the panel frames and rails. Water between the MC4 and metal can cause shorts if they are not water tight. Make sure you tighten them and keep them away from metal.

I've got the correct crimper, PV wire, and Staubli brand MC4 connectors. The MC4 connectors are in order with the panels.
Edit, I also already own the wrenches for the MC4 connector assembly.

I realize the MC4 connectors are probably the only option that would pass inspection. So, my hands are probably tied.

Until the parts arrive, I don't really have any way to check the brand MC4 on either the Tigo or Hanwa panels.

How do you do that when the datasheet for the solar panels only states "MC4 Compatible"?
Wouldn't it be better to crimp the cables together then covert it with adhesive-lined heat-shrink ?

One could always just replace the existing panel connectors so that match, if they are that paranoid.

I think the OPer is concerned about splicing not passing inspection.

Back