diy solar

diy solar

PWM solar charge controller abnormal behavior fixing

SolarFa

Hi! I have a problem with PWM solar charge controller. It is china made 30amp pwm controller. whenever i connect the battery with the controller (with its mentioned terminals), it started to show voltage on pv side of the controller. I have checked another controller with different model, it is working fine and do not show any voltage of the battery on pv side (terminals) of the controller.
I have searched alot but unable to find the solution to the problem. kindly need ur professional assistance
Thanks

it started to show voltage on pv side of the controller
Probably doesn't matter unless some current is involved. I get a ohm reading across all the terminals of a pwm and it still works fine.

Probably doesn't matter unless some current is involved. I get a ohm reading across all the terminals of a pwm and it still works fine.
yes, It does not matter sometimes you are right but I have observed that the negative wire of panel heats up.. Also i want to stop these voltages by adding any component in it... what should I add??

yes, It does not matter sometimes you are right but I have observed that the negative wire of panel heats up.. Also i want to stop these voltages by adding any component in it... what should I add??
Many cheap SCC controllers have that flaw. The will backfeed the battery power to the panels.
That leads to a small drain, which can be considered acceptable.
But if you come to make an accidental short on the panels, your SCC will behave like Aladins lamp being rubbed: welcome the blue smoke !
Putting a Schottky diode in series is highly recommended.

but I have observed that the negative wire of panel heats up.. Also i want to stop these voltages by adding any component in it... what should I add??
A diode would help.
Initially I had blocking diodes on all my panels because that was the recommended thing to do on multiple pwm low voltages systems.
I have since removed them all.
Maybe there is another problem.....PWMs are usually common positive and you must remember this when looking at the negative on the pv side....more later....off to work I go!

Back