diy solar

diy solar

Pwm solar controller goes out

A PWM controller is in very simple terms a switch that connects the panel to the battery. This pulls down the panel volts to battery volts, current flows into the battery and the volts rise. When the volts exceed the charge volts setting, the PWM switch is turned off. The on and off periods are varied as the battery is charged. The frequency of switching is quite high and the pulse width of the on time is varied as required.
It's quite possible the voltage difference between the battery and panel in the off condition exceeded the design capability.

The OP has a 30 amp controller and a panel with short circuit current of 11.9 amp, it's not likely current is the issue.

The controller when operating will display charge current.

The PWM controller used and its clones is sold under different names, including Victron, but I expect the quality of components used varies.
The Victron specification states the maximum panel voltage for a 12v battery is 28 volts and suggests a 22 cell panel is used, (22 volts).

Mike

I feel the controller is being asked to work outside it's input voltage. The easy way to test would be to put your batteries in series at 24v and give it a try. That would put the controller back in its comfort range with respect to the panel voltage.
Don't try any of your loads at 24v though.....

That would put the controller back in its comfort range with respect to the panel voltage.
The PV still remains the same. I see all the specs for PWM CCs and dual range models do double the (W) output for the doubled voltage and have always wondered why. Can you explain what the actual reason is?
My ''assumption'' is that it is simply the load rating of the mosfets used....P=VI or are there other internal changes made when the cc detects a higher battery v ?

A 24volt system may work. The USB ports will be ok.
Wire two 12v led lights in series or get 24v lights.

With dual range PWM the watts double because the voltage is double, the current rating of the unit is the same.

Mike

Solar peoples. Bought a real MPPT SCC. So I hope the problem is solved! Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• A625DF4D-376B-44A5-8B51-40A88652AC35.jpeg
    A625DF4D-376B-44A5-8B51-40A88652AC35.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 5
Back