diy solar

diy solar

PWM solar regulator with a MPPT DCDC charger

milleemaude

Hi All

First post - excited to get my head around it all!

I'm currently converting a troop carrier to travel around for the next few months and have gotten a dcdc charger with a MPPT solar input section. I also have a PWM regulator with LCD screen......

My understanding is that these will not work as accurately with each other and possibly not even charge, so in theory do not need the PWM regulator at all. I do however love the regulators monitor, usb ports and dc outlet that are a part of the regulator (itech 30 AMP intelligent solar regulator with lcd screen) and find this helpful to know whats going on with the battery set up (there is no monitor on the dcdc charger)

Has anyone had any experience with this? or is there a compatible product i should look into that show the solar as well (not just battery monitor and usb port separately)?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
I have an MPPT and PWM controller in parallel (connected at buss bars). They are the same brand and both use the same charging parameters.

The system has been working well for over 18 months. If you consider that they can only give the battery what it will accept and often both go into float at the same time.

I have an MPPT and PWM controller in parallel (connected at buss bars). They are the same brand and both use the same charging parameters.

The system has been working well for over 18 months. If you consider that they can only give the battery what it will accept and often both go into float at the same time.
Thanks - mine are both the same brand and charging parameters too. will give the parallel set up a go :)

Each controller should have its own solar panels/s, they cannot 'share' panels.

Mike

Back