diy solar

diy solar

Pylontech alarm on 12 x US5000 install

nat

Hello,

Finished my DIY solar install at the start of December, 20kW of PV (49 x 410w panels), 3 x Quattro-II 5000 inverters and 12 x Pylontech US5000s for 57kW storage.

All running fine for the best part of a month, up until Christmas Eve 24th Dec, when I got a VRM alert for an "Internal battery error", upon visiting the barn to look at the install I saw one battery had a red alarm light on. Thinking I might be able to fix this by filling them up from the grid I flipped that breaker, the alarm stayed on. I noiticed the min/max cell voltages started to vary greatly when the alarm came on.

They are connected via CANbus from the master to the Victron Cerbo, all 12 in a single comms link A-B string. DC-wise there are 4 banks of 3 batteries, each with their own Keto style DC fuse/disconnector.

Today, I powered down the batteries and removed the unit with the alarm on. I powered them up one at a time and held the SW switch on the master for 4 seconds to reset them all. VRM alarm cleared. I have a USB-RJ45 serial cable on order so I can use BatteryView to investigate further.

Any tips on what to do with the battery I removed? I haven't got another 48v charger, should I add it back into the strings once the serial cable arrives?

Thanks!!

Nat,

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 15.36.49.png Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 15.41.22.pngScreenshot 2023-01-03 at 15.38.45.png Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 15.55.23.png Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 15.55.44.png

Hello,

Finished my DIY solar install at the start of December, 20kW of PV (49 x 410w panels), 3 x Quattro-II 5000 inverters and 12 x Pylontech US5000s for 57kW storage.

All running fine for the best part of a month, up until Christmas Eve 24th Dec, when I got a VRM alert for an "Internal battery error", upon visiting the barn to look at the install I saw one battery had a red alarm light on. Thinking I might be able to fix this by filling them up from the grid I flipped that breaker, the alarm stayed on. I noiticed the min/max cell voltages started to vary greatly when the alarm came on.

They are connected via CANbus from the master to the Victron Cerbo, all 12 in a single comms link A-B string. DC-wise there are 4 banks of 3 batteries, each with their own Keto style DC fuse/disconnector.

Today, I powered down the batteries and removed the unit with the alarm on. I powered them up one at a time and held the SW switch on the master for 4 seconds to reset them all. VRM alarm cleared. I have a USB-RJ45 serial cable on order so I can use BatteryView to investigate further.

Any tips on what to do with the battery I removed? I haven't got another 48v charger, should I add it back into the strings once the serial cable arrives?

Thanks!!

Nat,

View attachment 127751 View attachment 127752View attachment 127753 View attachment 127754 View attachment 127755
Ensure the batteries all have the same voltage, then add the one you removed back in. How cold does the barn get?

Reactions: nat
Ensure the batteries all have the same voltage, then add the one you removed back in. How cold does the barn get?
6 days before the alarm it was very cold and the barn went to 0c, I have since bought some tube heaters to put in the bottom of a battery rack.

Should I acquire a standalone charger to bring the removed battery up to the same voltage as those still connected, before adding it back in?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 01.23.27.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 01.23.27.png
    435.2 KB · Views: 4
6 days before the alarm it was very cold and the barn went to 0c, I have since bought some tube heaters to put in the bottom of a battery rack.

Should I acquire a standalone charger to bring the removed battery up to the same voltage as those still connected, before adding it back in?

Thanks!
Yes, bring up to the same voltage or bring others down to the same voltage and add back in. If you do buy a charger, any 48V will do including lead acid, assuming some voltage is present in the battery.

Reactions: nat
Back