diy solar

diy solar

Pylontech batteries are stuck in alarm mode.

Here are some options.

Before I jump in spending more money and just to be sure...
I have measured each battery module individually with a good multimeter and I got the same reading for all 3 modules 49.5V. This is also what the inverter is displaying on the screen. Is this not an indication that the voltage is within working range?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-04-12 at 16.17.48.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-12 at 16.17.48.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3
Going by this, that's very low.

Attachments

• 20220218_092718.jpg
    20220218_092718.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 12
So looking at this table this means that the BMS in the batteries is giving a wrong % value as 49.5V should give something around 10-11% and not 42% as it is right now. The green charge level LEDs are also lighting in line with the 42%, 3 LEDs are lightened if I turn on the batteries without them being connected to the inverter.
So if I charge this offline with a 48V battery charger will this correct itself or does some additional calibration is needed on the BMS?

Hi Tim, I got the battery charger this week and have charged the batteries. Unfortunately, the issue remains basically the same, the batteries when physically disconnected from the inverter seem to work ok as soon as I connect them to the inverter they go to "alarm" mode.
At this stage, I think I may have some internal fault in the inverter battery circuit. I have measured the resistance between negative and positive battery terminals in the inverter and I have a high resistance reading (1.58MΩ) but I have no reference to follow to know if this is ok or not.
I have sent an email to Growatt to have some feedback from them, they connected remotely and upgraded the SW they say that all is ok.
So at this point, I am stuck.

Hi Tim, I got the battery charger this week and have charged the batteries. Unfortunately, the issue remains basically the same, the batteries when physically disconnected from the inverter seem to work ok as soon as I connect them to the inverter they go to "alarm" mode.
At this stage, I think I may have some internal fault in the inverter battery circuit. I have measured the resistance between negative and positive battery terminals in the inverter and I have a high resistance reading (1.58MΩ) but I have no reference to follow to know if this is ok or not.
I have sent an email to Growatt to have some feedback from them, they connected remotely and upgraded the SW they say that all is ok.
So at this point, I am stuck.
I don't remember if you have tested this, with only the battery connected. (All other inputs and outputs disconnected)
This will help determine if the problem is internal to the inverter or not.

Yes, I have tried with all 3 individual battery racks and the behaviour is the same.
If I connect any individual battery or the full battery array to the inverter even with the inverter off they came up to alarm mode immediately after pressing the red button.

This is looking more like an inverter issue.
I'm sorry to say.
Where's this "red button"?

Where's this "red button"?
White House- Oval Office
I connect any individual battery or the full battery array to the inverter even with the inverter off they came up to alarm mode immediately
I don’t know if you have a backup inverter or a friend with one to borrow. I “feel” like your inverter capacitors are discharged and the batteries aren’t sufficiently charged to take the quick high load. But you charged the batteries so… a known good inverter should expose the inverter problem. It’s worth a shot. I have backup inverters if I go dead.

Last edited:
The red button is on the batteries. To turn them off you just flip the switch. To turn them back on, you flip the switch, then press the red button.

I guess you haven't got any DC stuff you can use to put the batteries under some load... I have quite a lot, but 48V DC is not common.
You could use four 12V bulbs (of some power) in series...
-

White House- Oval Office

I don’t know if you have a backup inverter or a friend with one to borrow. I “feel” like your inverter capacitors are discharged and the batteries aren’t sufficiently charged to take the quick high load. But you charged the batteries so… a known good inverter should expose the inverter problem. It’s worth a shot. I have backup inverters if I go dead.
Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately I don't have any backup inverters that I can use

The red button is on the batteries. To turn them off you just flip the switch. To turn them back on, you flip the switch, then press the red button.

I guess you haven't got any DC stuff you can use to put the batteries under some load... I have quite a lot, but 48V DC is not common.
You could use four 12V bulbs (of some power) in series...
-
Hi, thanks for your suggestion, I need to have a look around I may have some 12V lamps lost in my garage.

Old and battered car/motorcycle headlights should be easy enough to find...
I guess if you connect two series of four of those, and the batteries behave well for an hour or two... the inverter is to blame :·/
-

Hi all, I have one additional piece of information that most likely will only help to make this even more difficult to understand.
I have measured this morning the voltage output of the battery array and with the indication of fully charged, I only have 51.7V.
Shoudldnt the voltage of a full charged 48V pack around 53.6V?

56 is a good charge. If you charge "aggressively" you can go 57.6-7... 51.7 is nowhere near a good charge.
The "indication of fully charged" meaning all LEDs on all batteries?
The voltage measured where and with what?
-

Hi Don, yes all LEDs are on and the battery charger gives an indication of charged also, even if I think this comes from the Pylontech BMS that doesn't allow additional charge when the LEDs give an indication of fully charged.
I have measured the DC voltage in the open terminals of the battery array and the individual battery racks with a Fluke 117.
Another unsettling situation is that I have 50.9V in one rack and 51.8V in another, when they are connected as an array I have the 51.7V that I referred.
I have a third rack but this is still being charged at this time.

So all the LEDs on all three batteries show a full charge, at <52V?
Meaning all three BMSs are somehow out of whack? uhmuhm.gif
Well, I really don't know what that could possibly mean. Maybe someone else will...
-

Back