diy solar

diy solar

Pylontech RV12100: questions on charging parameters

durval

Hello everyone,

So, I'm installing a new battery bank in my motorhome, and opted for Pylontech RV12100 batteries. These are supposed to be 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 "drop-in replacements" for SLA batteries specific for deep-cycle, mobile (boat, RV) applications. I bought 3 of them and have them connected in parallel.

I'm configuring it to work with my Victron Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80-30, and as the manual/datasheet[1] have some glaring omissions, I contacted Pylontech support by email; after an initial recommendation of "just set the minimum voltage to 11V and the charging voltage to 14V", I was able to confirm with them the following parameters as safe/good:
  • Minimum discharge voltage 11.50V (was not able to get them to state a SOC for this, but from what I see for other batteries, should be around 5-10% SOC).
  • Absorption voltage: 14.4V
  • Float voltage: 13.9V
  • Absorption time: 2 hours (for 3 batteries in parallel)
Everything seems to be consistent with what I've learned for similar batteries (specially this post from Battleborn about their 100Ah 12V units), except the float voltage, which Battleborn says should be "13.5V (13.6V or lower)"; Another Battleborn post says LiFePO4 don't really need to be floated, but confirm that setting it under 13.6V is fine.

So, what do you folks think? Should I ignore the manufacturer and set float to 13.5V, or do as it says and set it to 13.9V?

[1] Straight from the Pylontech's website: manual and warranty. From a vendor's website (can't find it on Pylontech's): datasheet/leaflet.

Thanks,
--
Durval.

Back