diy solar

diy solar

QR code scraped off and some flimsy black stuff not even taped on - WTH ??!!

ghostwriter66

"Here - Hold my Beer"
EE from LAX CA -work in SouthTX for giant evil Oil
I posted this early as a reply on another thread (( https://diysolarforum.com/threads/xuba-electronics-deal-280ah-lifepo4-cells-purchase-review.3850/ )) that has became pretty long and was asked by a couple of folks to post this fresh ... as to why I thought the reason so many of the cells that I have received have had the QR code scraped off and some flimsy black stuff not even taped on very well is being passed off as GRADE A new.

Now this is ONLY my thoughts .. I talk to many of these manufacturers all the time -- and for those that do NOT know me - YES I am Chinese (but born and raised in LA) and NO I am not a vendor and NO - and NO I don't think any of them are related to me (but then again I have 3000 cousins apparently when I go to China to visit - but I digress)

so yes many of the cells that I have received have had the QR code scraped off and some flimsy black stuff not even taped on very well is being passed off as GRADE A new. and obviously the top of the battery was hit by a grinder/polisher to make it look new and the blue wrapping looks new ... so theoretically its really like them putting lipstick on a pig .... HOWEVER - I run a full load test on every battery we get - PIG or PRINCESS - scraped QR code or not -- and every one of them has met or exceeded the rating ... to me THATS the most important thing ...

I use to be concerned about that - why is the QR code scratched off - and if i asked 3 manufacturers I got 5 answers ... or if i type in the QR code info that readable why does it come up to another company, etc etc ... some of the answers I got made sense .. that the QR codes are Manufacturer specific and Company A that normally sells directly to the USER (you)puts their marketing QR codes on the battery so you can order more stuff from them -- BUT Company B down the street is running low on 280's or 200's and went across the street and bought a few thousand 200's and NOT wanting YOU to know that they did not make the battery popped/scrapped the code and then recovered it (that seems to be the best answer)...

ALSO another one is that many of these batteries are stored OUTSIDE of China in warehouses in Germany and the US and technically sold as "refurbished" (to get away from customs fees and taxes, etc) and they pop-scrap the code in order to "fake" customs (you go girl!!) BUT they are actually still 100% Brand New Grade A...

Now of course if you get one that looks like its been through a drunken brawl on Saturday night and woke up somewhere Saturday half dressed and face down in the gutter - meaning - the Top is all scracthed up, the QR code is gone, there is scraping all over the blue tape where obviously it was used for something -and the black gasket on top won't even stay stuck down - then YES - you probably got one from someone that is trying to put one over on you ... Of course - once again - do a full check - if a 200 or 280 comes up with 200 or 280 respectively - then you just got battery that's ugly but still performs within the specs where its suppose to.

YES - like all of you - i get emotionally erect when the battery boxes show up and i tear into it like its XMAS morning and YES "i love the smell of LiFePO4 in the morning" and do get so ever disappointed when my new Red Ryder BB gun looks like its been shot buy someone else ((YEP I have intermingled several Movies into one sentence) ... BUT if the RED Ryder BB gun shoots straight (voltage) and shoots strong (aH) then I am fine with it ..

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR what you think also ...

Always good to hear from someone actually DOING (not 'Speculation').
Since you are recommending specific places/people to do business with,
AND,
You have done business with them directly,
AND,
You are trained and know exactly what you are talking/writing about...

I don't see an issue with your recommendations.
Particularly since other users have done business with the companies/people you recommend and had positive results also.

I say keep up the good work and thanks for the recommendations.

Thats a well written post.
Makes me wonder how much use (# charge cycles?) before one could measure a difference in capacity?
Have you capacity tested any cells that you have used for any length of time (and charge cycles)?

My personal opinion: the cells are sold at bargain prices and keep passing tests we keep throwing at them. They are cheaper where I live than building an equivalent lead-acid battery. They ship them in quantities to individuals that is not very common at these prices. They try to accommodate people by throwing in bus bars etc. So, these cells might or might not come from a specific factory at any given time. They might have QR codes scratched off. Yet, they match the rated capacity and keep ticking along. That's good enough in my book - just remember the language barrier and cultural differences.

I'll buy one of them specifically to cycle and see when they break. I'm sure @ghostwriter66 has done several.

Last edited:
I ordered my cells from the same place ghostwriter did and it had no QR code, looks like it was slightly grinded off. These were 200ah cells. I did a capacity test and it pulled a full 200ah on the battery and I only took it down to 12.93 volts. So Im happy :)

After seeing the post @Steve_S made on that other thread where EVE was apparently VERY upset that some of these cell had been verified as theirs ..... Maybe some of the re-sellers are being forced to destroy the QR code.
The 190's I got from BLS were intact, and I think most of the ones from Xuba have been intact. Will be interesting if Xuba has to start destroying the EVE QR codes after the dust up. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me since I don't know the inner workings these companies.

After seeing the post @Steve_S made on that other thread where EVE was apparently VERY upset that some of these cell had been verified as theirs ..... Maybe some of the re-sellers are being forced to destroy the QR code.
The 190's I got from BLS were intact, and I think most of the ones from Xuba have been intact. Will be interesting if Xuba has to start destroying the EVE QR codes after the dust up. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me since I don't know the inner workings these companies.

Keep in mind also that MANY times Company A will be an OEM manufacturer (hypothetically like BATTLEBORN) and will go to Company B for batteries on the condition that they will go into a finished product -- AND Company A is getting them at a really good price ... ONLY for Company B to find out that Company A is actually selling those discounted batteries individually and taking market away from them ... if that makes sense ... maybe THATS the reason that EVE was upset -- that basically there stuff was being sold out of places or vendors that were not licensed to do so -- thus "taking money out of their pockets"

So once again -- and just using BattleHorn as an example and NOT saying they are doing this at all -- but can you imagine BattleHorn ordering 5000 100aH batteries for them to throw into their case and slap a label on it ... BUT suddenly the economy drops and sales are down and now BattleBorn decides that they will just sell the extra batteries as an individual item and start selling them for MORE than the bought them for BUT less than what COMPANY B is selling them for on the open market -- that would make Company B upset ... because literally BattleBorn is going against the very company that gave them a discount ... SOOOOO to get around that 99.99% of the companies like BattleBorn would scrape the QR code off so there is no way that that battery could be traced back to Company B ....

whew -- i hope I didn't loose anyone ...

I am just concerned that by weight, the cells meet the Wh/Kg spec... because a 280Ah cell relabeled 200 will spec easily 200, but will it weigh what a new 280 does?

Keep in mind also that MANY times Company A will be an OEM manufacturer (hypothetically like BATTLEBORN) and will go to Company B for batteries on the condition that they will go into a finished product -- AND Company A is getting them at a really good price ... ONLY for Company B to find out that Company A is actually selling those discounted batteries individually and taking market away from them ... if that makes sense ... maybe THATS the reason that EVE was upset -- that basically there stuff was being sold out of places or vendors that were not licensed to do so -- thus "taking money out of their pockets"

So once again -- and just using BattleHorn as an example and NOT saying they are doing this at all -- but can you imagine BattleHorn ordering 5000 100aH batteries for them to throw into their case and slap a label on it ... BUT suddenly the economy drops and sales are down and now BattleBorn decides that they will just sell the extra batteries as an individual item and start selling them for MORE than the bought them for BUT less than what COMPANY B is selling them for on the open market -- that would make Company B upset ... because literally BattleBorn is going against the very company that gave them a discount ... SOOOOO to get around that 99.99% of the companies like BattleBorn would scrape the QR code off so there is no way that that battery could be traced back to Company B ....

whew -- i hope I didn't loose anyone ...

I kind understood what you were explaining .... but do any of the people we are buying batteries from fit the company A catagory?

I kind understood what you were explaining .... but do any of the people we are buying batteries from fit the company A catagory?

Well I do know one time that when DELIGREEN ran out of 200aH I got four batteries from ""DELIGREEN"" but the shipping label said Shanghai Export so I figured Deligreen just ran across the street and asked them to ship me 8 batteries and they forgot to change the name on the label

Between this advice and a few other posts, I am comfortable enough now to order from Xuba.

My question to you all- I need 8 for my planned setup. Do I order a 9th as a “spare” or is that really unnecessary?

Between this advice and a few other posts, I am comfortable enough now to order from Xuba.

My question to you all- I need 8 for my planned setup. Do I order a 9th as a “spare” or is that really unnecessary?

No need for a spare at all -- you are really wasting money doing that --

I've come across cells that have a different code hidden below the code. (and 2020 is hidden, and on top of 2018, judging by the code

Attachments

• H8d5.jpg
    H8d5.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 47
Back