diy solar

diy solar

Quality panels at low $/W?

Jdplus33

New to the forum, I am asking for a few recommendations for hi-wattage panels with good specs, strong frames, overall good quality at a low price per watt. Any brands that I should avoid?

Trina and Canadian are looking good - thoughts?

An explanation of pa load ratings would be helpful, too.

If this type of question is not allowed, please delete this post. Thanks.

Sells used panels and new panels that they were able to get a deal on. I bought some new panels that were about 3 year old technology=less cost. I think they have stock that may not appear on their web site. If you are ready to buy, give them a call and see what they have. I am not connected to them in any way but have purchased two times and am a happy customer.

Here's a link for Grade A new panels available for delivery withing 15 days sorted by $/watt:

site gets updated regularly

I'm happy with my JA Solar 'Cypress Series' 330W 72 cell poly panels that I bought last year from Wholesale Solar for $150ea. but I see they've been discontinued.

You can get all kinds of very good solar panels between $0.50 to $1.00 per watt. Alt E Store even has the Panasonic HIT 340 watt panel for $318 which is still under a buck a watt. Or you can get a Q-Cells 420 watt for $250 or just $0.59 per watt. What kind of space do you have and how much power are you looking to get? I have Sil Fab SLA300M panels, they are working well for over a year now, I paid about $0.85 per watt with a 25 year warranty. If I get any new panels, the Q-Cells are a great deal, the Panasonic HIT are better in high heat but cost a little more.

Here's a link for Grade A new panels available for delivery withing 15 days sorted by $/watt:

site gets updated regularly
A very limited number of brands according to the data at the bottom, they didn't even list my brand - their lowest is $0.53/w - I paid $0.45/w. I'd say they either get a commission, a referral or are paid to list those particular panels and vendors.

I'm happy with my JA Solar 'Cypress Series' 330W 72 cell poly panels that I bought last year from Wholesale Solar for $150ea. but I see they've been discontinued.
On their website prices get as low as $.64/W, no lower.

A1 Solar has a large selection at <$.60/W - Any recommendations from this selection?

On their website prices get as low as $.64/W, no lower.

A1 Solar has a large selection at <$.60/W - Any recommendations from this selection?
personally I'd go to the San-Tan Solar link above and buy the new Trina 400's @ $180ea ($0.45 per watt) which was my price point on the JA's

I have been happy with SanTanSolar as well.

I paid 14 cents/watt during a sale on used panels and under 50 cents per watt for new panels with mfr warranty

I recently purchased (4) mono 100 watt panels on amazon for $312.00. I have tested them and they seem to be good panels (to me). Free shipping and 5% back on my Amazon Credit Card. I liked these panels in particular because of their dimensions since they are going into an aluminum array I am building that will mount up on the side of my deck facing almost directly solar south, but you can get the longer ones for around the same price.

Not an endorsement link:

Also, if you just want regular sized higher wattage bulk panels, cheaper than these out there.

First off, thanks for all the replies. I live on a sailboat (2 x 265W = 530W; 6 Group 31 AGM batteries; Midnight Sun MPPT CC) so I’m not a total newb, BUT this house is a different animal. We haven’t even closed on the house yet, but we are having household goods shipped here (USVI) from NC in a container, and I figured I could save a bundle if I buy the panels now. I will see the sellers next week and will ask what their typical power consumption is per month.

Is there a specific forum that helps design whole-house off-grid systems? Power in St. Croix is wicked expensive!

Thanks again!

Probably so, but normal panels life span is 15 to 20 years. But on an island? Two choices, buy new at 1 per watt or buy used cheap panels enough like .28 per watt and buy spares for the future.

I’m looking at new Trina’s for $.45/W. Having spares implies removing old, bad panels and installing new ones. I once was a younger man.

There are plenty on this forum that can help with the system design.
Be honest and realistic about your power needs.
How long will you need to be able to run when there is weak sub due to weather?
Do you have good exposure towards the equator?
How much roof space can you use for solar? What size panels will fit in the legal space?
The less room you have, the better efficiency you might need to get enough power.
Some areas require area for firemen to walk around the panels.
Could you use a ground mount array?
What safety requirements do you need to meet? Rapid Shut Down? Grounding? Lightning rods? Outdoor cutoff switch for the battery bank?
How hot can it get there? Does it get very cold? This can come into play if you want good panels for heat or need voltage headroom for cold.
Will you have the grid available at all to use as a backup, or would you need a generator in case you run out of solar due to weather?
Do you want auto generator start?
To choose the inverter and battery bank you need to know both the maximum short term power, and the total energy for a day. Most size the battery to be able to run all of your normal loads for 2 full days, and size the solar array to charge it all back in just one day.
Depending on your power demand and space, that may not be possible.
What type of batteries do you want to use? Will they be subjected to large temperature changes? Freezing temps?

My home here in Cali is not efficient enough to go off grid. If I covered all the space I legally could with very efficient solar panel, it would be close when I have good sun, but days like this week, I would be on generator. To be a reliable off grid system, you need to make 2 full days of power in just 5 sun hours. For my house, I use about 30 KWH a day. My current solar panel setup of 16 300 watt panels can just make that in perfect conditions, and my storage battery is only 17 KWH total, so I have to use grid power to make up the difference.

There are plenty on this forum that can help with the system design.
Be honest and realistic about your power needs.
How long will you need to be able to run when there is weak sub due to weather?
Do you have good exposure towards the equator?
How much roof space can you use for solar? What size panels will fit in the legal space?
The less room you have, the better efficiency you might need to get enough power.
Some areas require area for firemen to walk around the panels.
Could you use a ground mount array?
What safety requirements do you need to meet? Rapid Shut Down? Grounding? Lightning rods? Outdoor cutoff switch for the battery bank?
How hot can it get there? Does it get very cold? This can come into play if you want good panels for heat or need voltage headroom for cold.
Will you have the grid available at all to use as a backup, or would you need a generator in case you run out of solar due to weather?
Do you want auto generator start?
To choose the inverter and battery bank you need to know both the maximum short term power, and the total energy for a day. Most size the battery to be able to run all of your normal loads for 2 full days, and size the solar array to charge it all back in just one day.
Depending on your power demand and space, that may not be possible.
What type of batteries do you want to use? Will they be subjected to large temperature changes? Freezing temps?

My home here in Cali is not efficient enough to go off grid. If I covered all the space I legally could with very efficient solar panel, it would be close when I have good sun, but days like this week, I would be on generator. To be a reliable off grid system, you need to make 2 full days of power in just 5 sun hours. For my house, I use about 30 KWH a day. My current solar panel setup of 16 300 watt panels can just make that in perfect conditions, and my storage battery is only 17 KWH total, so I have to use grid power to make up the difference.
Thanks for that excellent reply! The house has a 11kw propane generator and is on the grid now. Because the house is in the tropical sun, it gets a lot of solar energy. My first thought is to make awnings with solar panels so that I get the comfort benefit of the shade as well as the power generation of the panels.

Hurricane survival is a very big issue. I might try to mount them so that they fold down in bad weather so that they are protected and act like storm shutters to protect the house. I can get about 8800W without poking any holes in the roof.

Hoping to take advantage of the 26% tax credit by buying most of the equipment before the end of the year.

Good plan, I got my system in last year to get the 30% before it stepped down in Jan. I am still trying to figure out if I will be able to get the 26% on my Schneider battery inverter.

Back