diy solar

diy solar

Quality panels at low $/W?

Good plan, I got my system in last year to get the 30% before it stepped down in Jan. I am still trying to figure out if I will be able to get the 26% on my Schneider battery inverter.

Why wouldn’t you?

Since the actual battey is a surplus pack that was rejected by GM, I don't know if that will qualify. The inverter itself does not have any battery or even a solar panel input, so it is not really a "PV solar system" without additional parts. It is a bit of a grey area. And since I did install it myself, I don't have an electrical contractor license in Los Angeles county. I have not found exemptions for this type of electrical work in your own home. Part of the reason I am dragging my feet on the inspection process also. I built everything to code and even over spec'd the wires etc., so there is no doubt the install is completely safe. But I didn't grease the usual wheels. about $3,000 of my original solar install was for permitting and inspection crap due to all the extra red tape they have here. Talk to any licensed contractor and they all say the same thing. It is a closed system with a ton of red tape to jump through. I looked into doing the solar myself, and in the end it was just easier to pay a guy who has done over 100 systems here and knows the ropes. I knew someone seeing me put panel on the roof would have certainly been called into the city, even if I had pulled all the permits. And without a Los Angeles County and Santa Clarita Valley electrical contractors license, it is unlikely they would say okay to tying into the main breaker panel. The gear I normally work on is far more involved and delicate.

Back