diy solar

diy solar

Quest about cycles

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
So I'm looking at two different cells...

CATL 271ah... Rated for 4000 cycles(from Eel)

Eve 280ah... Rated for 6000 cycles (from Docan)

I'm trying to understand if the cycle ratings are actually legit because if they are then the eve cells seem like the clear winner but if it's just an arbitrary number then there is no clear winner... Any help is appreciated

The cycle of charge to discharge is going to vary for people. Some like Will P have indicated SOC to 0% and back to 100% on some battery. Then others have posted 14% to 82% SOC is a cycle.

So to me a cycle is about the stress on the battery of charge to discharge and this will vary on the number per day or even per week for some.

I will go with it is an arbitrary number designed to give a marketing indicator of XXXX something based on control lab testing.

I would bring price per cell into the discussion. 4000 cycles is 10 years of daily cycles. That's a long, long time. My thinking is that well before my batteries come close to the end of their life cycle something newer will come out that will entice me to switch (more Ah, lighter weight, new feature, etc).

It’s irrelevant, good luck getting any warranty at all - let alone 16 years.

I would bring price per cell into the discussion. 4000 cycles is 10 years of daily cycles. That's a long, long time. My thinking is that well before my batteries come close to the end of their life cycle something newer will come out that will entice me to switch (more Ah, lighter weight, new feature, etc).

It might seem like a long time now, but people were saying the exact same thing ten years ago when i installed my first LiFePO4 pack. It is still going strong, and there is still no better alternative.

Back