diy solar

diy solar

Question about battery hookup 36v 7.9kwh battery pack

sandog

Hello. For the battery hookup LG 36V 7.9kw batteries. Is there any easy way to convert these into 12v, 24, or 48v setups?

No. All tabs welded.
Maybe you could cut away 3P banks to reduce voltage?
You could also cut each cell away at weld point with a dremel tool and build from scratch.
I have two of the 36v 7.9kw batteries. I am using packs as-is. Very well built and easy to fabricate&design 36V ESS system around it.

So.. as a newbie can someone explain why 36V is non optimum for use? I am interested in adding inexpensive storage to my existing solar array that is grid tied for off grid backup/emergency use.

Can I assume that any/all of the new hybrid inverters can be set up to send charge current to a 36V battery, then export the DC power available in the batteries to 220VAC to power my house in an emergency?

Asked another way, what are the known downsides of using a 36V EV battery for home backup.

So.. as a newbie can someone explain why 36V is non optimum for use? I am interested in adding inexpensive storage to my existing solar array that is grid tied for off grid backup/emergency use.

Can I assume that any/all of the new hybrid inverters can be set up to send charge current to a 36V battery, then export the DC power available in the batteries to 220VAC to power my house in an emergency?

Asked another way, what are the known downsides of using a 36V EV battery for home backup.
You will need an inverter that will run off of 36v. You can find some 36v inverters for sale. You can also find some 36v solar charge controllers. If you can find both inverter and charge controller that will meet your needs, 36v has no real down sides. Your equipment choices will be very limited with 36v batteries.

You will need an inverter that will run off of 36v. You can find some 36v inverters for sale. You can also find some 36v solar charge controllers. If you can find both inverter and charge controller that will meet your needs, 36v has no real down sides. Your equipment choices will be very limited with 36v batteries.
Most MPPT charge controllers DO support 36V.
Inverters on the other hand your options are indeed fewer than 48V variants.
I went 36V for the specific purpose of being able to use inexpensive 15kWh prebuilt 36V packs (about 33cents on the dollar)
I kept costs way down....below $3500 (TOTAL):
3KW panels
3/6KW 36V inverter
2x60A charge controllers
15kWh FRESH (not sitting on shelf for ages or "B" performance) battery capacity.
Various fabrication and electrical components
If budget were not a concern I would have gone 48V route though.

Back