diy solar

diy solar

Question about energy density.

The packaging as in the yellow stuff
The blue cells are just thin aluminium covered with shrink wrap

One component is the battery construction and casing. Just look at those older BYD LifePO4 boxes that are popular, they are incredibly heavy at over 160lbs, 1/3 of the weight is just the cooling fins, then they are using solid copper and lots of it for interconnections. Then they are wrapped heavily in a type of vinyl. Very high quality and very safe. All of that extra material really adds up. Compare that with a bare 18650 Lion cell that weighs ounces, but can burst into flames easily (as I found out). My bet is the RJ cells are using better and more expensive construction techniques than others.

I've posted this before, but it never hurts to post it again. How badly things can go with unknown quality (ie, are the damaged etc) unprotected lion (not lifepo4) 18650 cells.

You better believe it. Here was my garage in 2017, 1 week after buying some *genuine* 18650 Li-on batteries from Ebay. I nearly lost the whole house. I will only use LifePO4 from now. It took over a year and a ton of money to fix the damage. Luckily no-one was hurt.

F396A7CD-DBCE-4EB4-A4DD-9F049E35D331.jpeg123E737E-C60C-4445-B64D-B677BAB74143.jpeg6EE820A0-E654-4E76-A913-18A7AC2C27D4.jpeg

40% difference in mass is a lot just for the cases....
It is the same chemistry between the batteries, liFePO4.

I need to get rid of a bunch of old rc lipos lying in my garage though...

The chemistry is the same. As smoothJoey said, the difference is in the ABS plastic shell as compared with aluminum. The ABS shell on my 195ah cells weighs 2.5 lbs. I think the 270ah Winston cells would be about 3.3 lbs. of ABS plastic.

I've posted this before, but it never hurts to post it again. How badly things can go with unknown quality
This was more about overcharging that battery than about unknown quality. I have watched a lot of his videos and they admitted they charged it with no High Voltage Disconnect. The charger they used, looked like a fork lift charger. They left it unattended at high amperage. That is a classic way to ignite NMC.

Back