diy solar

diy solar

Question about soldering XT60 connectors

BoJack

I’m having trouble soldering the male side of an XT60 connector and I keep melting the plastic trying to keep the solder melted and get the wire in place. I’ve looked online, but have only found videos/advice showing how to solder the female side of the connector. I don’t have a problem with the female side. The solder cup is shallow and easy to fill. The male side though has a deep solder cup. I am guessing that the wire should go all the way down in there and filled with solder. If I solder it like the female side, there will be a big air pocket inside the connector. Is this ok? Are the male sides supposed to be soldered with a short bit of wire like the female side? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Got it figured out. New solder and flux and it worked a lot better. In case any other new people were wondering, that’s how I resolved the issue.

Got it figured out. New solder and flux and it worked a lot better. In case any other new people were wondering, that’s how I resolved the issue.
Lots of the new stuff ( wire , connectors etc ) require liquid solder flux to be applied before soldering.

I've found XT60s solder best with a hot soldering iron, mine is 60 watts and almost instantly makes the joint, my smaller 15w soldering iron takes too long to heat the contact and results in a melted connector.

Back