diy solar

diy solar

Question after I added a second battery

Sean_Quigley

I just added a second battery in parallel (Ampere 12v 200Ah).
The charge controller (Epever MPPT 30A) still says that there is 200amps on the battery info screen, the same as when I only had one battery connected.
Is this an issue that I should be concerned with?
Thanks

My Victron SCC battery bank size is a manual input through a Bluetooth App. There is a Default, and I think it was 200, but I had to manually set mine to 458 ah.

I don't recall setting Ah on my solar charge controller. My Victron BMV-712 however did need the Ah set. Each BMS also required a manual change.

I don't recall setting Ah on my solar charge controller. My Victron BMV-712 however did need the Ah set. Each BMS also required a manual change.
You’re correct. That was my 712 I described, not the SCC.

a device(scc, inverter, whatever) cannot tell how much capacity you have. Unlike voltage which is a simple measurement, the "capacity" of a battery bank is not something you can tell by any simple measurement. You have to tell a device or run a capacity test (fully charge and discharge).

a device(scc, inverter, whatever) cannot tell how much capacity you have. Unlike voltage which is a simple measurement, the "capacity" of a battery bank is not something you can tell by any simple measurement. You have to tell a device or run a capacity test (fully charge and discharge).
Is the charge controller getting that information from the BMS? I just want to make sure it isn’t using wrong information while charging the batteries

My Victron Smart 100/50 solar charge controller will get voltage and temperature of the battery from the Victron BMV-712. Since the BMV knows the Ah capacity and is keeping track of amps in/out, it may know when the battery bank is full and tell the solar charge controller to stop charging. I haven't dug that deep into how/what they communicate.

I also have a question about 'adding a second' battery.

I already have a 280ah with a 4S BMS.

I bought a 150ah with another 4S BMS.

I did not really think about some possibles problems !!! I tought that each BMS would do their job.

So is there in your opinion some problems if these batteries are not the same AH ?

I also have a question about 'adding a second' battery.

I already have a 280ah with a 4S BMS.

I bought a 150ah with another 4S BMS.

I did not really think about some possibles problems !!! I tought that each BMS would do their job.

So is there in your opinion some problems if these batteries are not the same AH ?
I am just building my first lithium, and I understand its possible, and some have done it. Here's a link:

I am just building my first lithium, and I understand its possible, and some have done it. Here's a link:

Thanks !!!

Back