diy solar

diy solar

Question on 4-pin aviation cables vs MC4 extension cables for Bluetti AC300

chiral.grolim

So I am building my first solar-panel set-up to charge a Bluetti system, AC300+2xB300.
I am starting out with 12x 100W roof-mounted (house/cabin) solar panels that I plan to wire 3s2p x 2 sets to the Bluetti AC300's dual MC4 to 4-pin aviation cable adapter. However, the Bluetti system will be ~100ft from the panels.
I understand that I could run 4x 12 (overkill) AWG cables the entire 100' to cover my 2 lead and 2 neutral lines, but I am wondering if I cannot less-expensively connect the panels to the Bluetti cable provided close to the panels and then run a 4-pin aviation cable that 100'.
The panels are 24.3V Voc, 5.21A Isc, so there'll be <12A running on each line. I am assuming that the Bluetti cable is rated for 12A since that is their listed max input for each SCC, but I am struggling to find 4-pin aviation cable that lists its actual AWGs and might meet the requirements. Those I've found that DO list the wire AWG are all 22, rated for 4 amps/wire.

Does 12A-rated 4-pin aviation cable exist, and at a price more reasonable than acquiring the 4 MC4-ended 12AWG cables available from a variety of vendors (or DIY-able)?
ETA: For example, I've been considering just getting 100' of 12 or 14 AWG outdoor electrical cable with 4 wires (3+G) and a set of 4-pin terminals (e.g. GX12) to be my extension cable from the panels to the Bluetti system

Thanks for your consideration!

Last edited:
Back