diy solar

diy solar

Question regarding exceeding the Amp limits of an MPPT controller within a Solar Generator.

DaPhatty

Please forgive me in advance for the simplicity of this question. I really want to ensure I'm getting this right.

First the gear in question.

2x - Jackery 100w SolarSaga portable panels

Peak Power - 100W​
Open Circuit Voltage - 21.6V​
Power Current - 5.55A​

1 - Bluetti EB240/Rich Solar X1500 Solar Generator.

Solar Panel Input: 16-60 VDC, 10A, 500W Max​

Our intention is to connect the Jackery panels in Parallel in order to charge the Solar Generator. The idea is to allow each panel to continue providing power in the event the "other" panel is somehow shaded or underperforming during the day. Based on the math for panels in Parallel, the combined Amperage for these two panels is 11.1A which ever so slightly exceeds the 10A rating of the Solar Generator.

I've seen Will state that most MPPT controllers can handle a small amount of overage. Technically speaking, this constitutes about 11% more Amps than the rated input. Am I overthinking this or should we consider switching to Panels in Series in order to stay under the Input Amperage limit?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

- Robert

If you connect the panels to the controller via MC4 simply throw an in-line 10A fuse on the positive cable from the panel.

It won’t be an issue, the panels will not reach max amps unless BOTH panels are in direct perfect sun, odds are you won’t break 180W at 10 amps, and 18V… maybe 17V… and the controller will only pull the 10A. Series would be better, if you can keep both panels out of the shade. That way you will get the max output from the panels. But if a portion on one panel gets shade, the whole thing can drop output for both. So, if partial shading is a concern, max amps is not.

Any good MPPT will limit the amps to the max rating of the controller. Although 50% overdriven is probably a realistic maximum. Will be fine at 11%. Just don't go over the controller Voc rating and you are good.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Your feedback has helped squeeze a little extra life out of a pair Jackery solar panels for someone who is quite dependent on them. (y)

Our intention is to connect the Jackery panels in Parallel in order to charge the Solar Generator. The idea is to allow each panel to continue providing power in the event the "other" panel is somehow shaded or underperforming during the day. Based on the math for panels in Parallel, the combined Amperage for these two panels is 11.1A which ever so slightly exceeds the 10A rating of the Solar Generator.

I've seen Will state that most MPPT controllers can handle a small amount of overage. Technically speaking, this constitutes about 11% more Amps than the rated input. Am I overthinking this or should we consider switching to Panels in Series in order to stay under the Input Amperage limit?

Over voltage, no, don't do it.
Over current? It just won't use the extra.

Back