diy solar

diy solar

Question regarding stand-by operation for an all-in-one/standalone inverter.

MorganCarey

Im considering going with an all-in-one 24V. Probably a Growatt or an MPP.

Has idle consumption improved as these types of unit mature in the market?

I say idle, and not standby because I don't think, in my use case, they'll ever get to standby, or at least, very rarely.

The unit would be installed in an off-grid cabin. The cabin has a number of motion sensor flood lights on various out buildings and walking paths. The breakers for these lights are left on 24/7 while the cabin has visitors. If the cabin is vacant most breakers are turned off with the exception of the on-demand water pump which may occasionally cycle if water system pressure drops for some reason.

I will say that we are currently running on a 12V 1500Watt square-wave inverter. It is not exactly a high quality unit anyways.

The system will have 1.25 kw of panels wired to it. Battery storage is an issue, and initially we will likely only have 100ah of LiFe storage. More would be added in the future years.

Thoughts?

Hello,
If I were you I would go with SolarCity Delta H6 Hybrid inverter (, it works off-grid without batteries, gives you 120/120 0r 240v split phase for larger appliances (good for an HVAC mini-split). I have 10 of them and I can't be happier!
Of course, there is a small issue, it was designed for the Tesla power wall battery pack.
This is how I connected mine:
Runs as a grid-tied system all day every day. When the grid is down or the grid not present, the inverter will automatically start
feeding protected backup loads, in my case, 15KW LF split phase inverter/battery charger 48V DC/120V,240V AC 60HZ.
When the batteries are fully charged, the LF inverter will just pass through the AC 240 power. When the sun is down, it will convert power from my 48V battery bank to 240v AC split phase, runs my whole house, including HVAC.
That is the most cost-effective system for grid-tie/ off-grid with battery backup and split phase system I came up with.

Hello Tomas,
I am thinking of putting up a setup similar to what you have, would you be willing to share your design and a recommendation of the inverter for the off grid use?
So far I am thinking
Growatt 5000 and Delta H6

Back