diy solar

diy solar

Question regarding top balancing

littleharbor2

Solar Addict
Living off-grid on the beach in Baja California,
So I just received 16 eve 230 ah. cells from Jenny at Doucan. They arrived in perfect condition. What great packaging. All 16 cells measure 3.293 volts right out of the box.
My question is, Is it absolutely necessary to top balance them being they are so perfectly balanced now? I have to ask after I had a mishap trying to balance an 8 cell bank and accidently ended up finding them over 5 volts one morning and bloated like little blue loaves of bread. In the 5-6 days it took to bring them up to 3.65 volts I must have accidently nudged the voltage adjustment knob on the power supply. I had been covering the bank and uncovering it to check the voltage each day. I figure the covering and uncovering them caused the knob to be moved. I have a BMS and Active balancer that I am planning to use and was hoping I can assemble the pack and call it done. After wrecking the first $1,500 dollars worth of cells I really don't want to do it again.

So I just received 16 eve 230 ah. cells from Jenny at Doucan. They arrived in perfect condition. What great packaging. All 16 cells measure 3.293 volts right out of the box.
My question is, Is it absolutely necessary to top balance them being they are so perfectly balanced now? I have to ask after I had a mishap trying to balance an 8 cell bank and accidently ended up finding them over 5 volts one morning and bloated like little blue loaves of bread. In the 5-6 days it took to bring them up to 3.65 volts I must have accidently nudged the voltage adjustment knob on the power supply. I had been covering the bank and uncovering it to check the voltage each day. I figure the covering and uncovering them caused the knob to be moved. I have a BMS and Active balancer that I am planning to use and was hoping I can assemble the pack and call it done. After wrecking the first $1,500 dollars worth of cells I really don't want to do it again.

Back