diy solar

diy solar

Questions about overloading RV surge protector

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
Ok so I have a 30a RV, if I run the generator or shore power, the 12000 btu mini split, the 5000 btu window AC and the 100a charger(12v) it will pop the hard wired RV surge protector
Currently its wired in this: Generator/shore power >>> 30a surge protector >>> Aims power 3000w inverter/charger >>> RV breaker panel >>> all A/C loads
The charger section is before the RV breaker panel...

I am rarely on sore/generator... if i do power up the genny I am trying to charge batteries... Ideas?

30 amps is Probably just not enough for your loads 100amp charger load at 14v is 1400 watts
Window ac at 400 watts mini split at 1000 watts 100watt misc 12 v dc loads inverter consumption 50 watts and 10% for efficiency losses puts you pricariously close to The theoretical 3600 watts that the breaker is rated for. If you only have 110 volts coming the watts available will only be 3300. The breaker for the rv should have some sort of delay if it is overloaded for a short period but the surge protector may not have that same feature also if it is hardwired a slightly loose connection could cause the surge protector to trip at less than it’s rated load.

Is the suge protector tripping on overcurrent, undervoltage or something else?

Is the suge protector tripping on overcurrent, undervoltage or something else?
Probably over current. A loose connection would result in overheating and produce the same results. Use a multi meter to be sure you have good voltage.

Probably over current. A loose connection would result in overheating and produce the same results. Use a multi meter to be sure you have good voltage.
I have considered that it does drop down to around 110 volts..

But for some strange reason when the RV was built they had about a 25 or 30 ft 10 gauge cable come out the back of the RV then they ran a 10 gauge cable up to the front quarter which makes no sense cuz then you need another 25 ft to get where you got to go it's a lot of cable

Back