diy solar

diy solar

Questions about series parallel battery limitations.

Bobert

Solar Enthusiast
I have 4 100ah 12v Global Power lifepo4 batteries in series that I use in my travel trailer 48v solar setup. These batteries are limited to 4 in series or 4 in parallel according to their documentation. I understand why the bms would limit the voltage to 48v. My question is why are the number of batteries limited in parallel? If amperage is the problem than 4 sets of batteries in series should be able to be paralleled together to create a 400 ah 48v battery bank. Yet the document reads 4 parallel or 4 series. I would sure like to know why.

There are a few threads on this issue. Here's one:

My opinion/preference is that if you need 48 volts, then build an actual 48 volt battery. Don't put four 12 volt batteries in series. I suspect that over time, you may find that one or more of your 12 volt batteries isn't getting charged right. The first battery in the series to hit a battery or cell high voltage limit will cause the other three batteries in the series to no longer get charged. In the short term, that's not a big deal. Long term, that could be a real problem. You will need to periodically verify that all four batteries are at similar states of charge. A battery balancer system could address this problem, but that's adding more complexity to a system.

As far as the limit on parallel connections, I don't see the problem. There was a paper put out by a BMS vendor (Orion?) that said parallel was bad, but there are many forum members that disagree with the conclusions in that paper. There are a lot of us on the forum that are running parallel batteries without any issues.

There are a few threads on this issue. Here's one:

My opinion/preference is that if you need 48 volts, then build an actual 48 volt battery. Don't put four 12 volt batteries in series. I suspect that over time, you may find that one or more of your 12 volt batteries isn't getting charged right. The first battery in the series to hit a battery or cell high voltage limit will cause the other three batteries in the series to no longer get charged. In the short term, that's not a big deal. Long term, that could be a real problem. You will need to periodically verify that all four batteries are at similar states of charge. A battery balancer system could address this problem, but that's adding more complexity to a system.

As far as the limit on parallel connections, I don't see the problem. There was a paper put out by a BMS vendor (Orion?) that said parallel was bad, but there are many forum members that disagree with the conclusions in that paper. There are a lot of us on the forum that are running parallel batteries without any issues.
I would have preferred to buy or build a 48v battery but I have very limited space that just perfectly fit the batteries that I bought. Not really enough space to be able to see small wires. I was concerned about the batteries walking away from each other especially as they have a reputation for not being well balanced internally. To alleviate my concerns in this area I purchased a 48v lifepo4 battery balancer.

Back