Questions about stand alone converter

markhbrown

Here is my setup. I feel mostly confident about most of it. However, I've added an aims converter to charge my "floating" system when at campgrounds through the campground power pedestal. I will plug the converter into the shore power but the 12 volt side is permently wired into the main solar system I've made. Do I fuse the 12 volt side of the converter at the battery? It's a 75amp aims converter. I was going to tie a fuse onto the main 250amp fuse that feeds into the bus bar distributor. Can I run this on shore power and charge my lifepo4 batteries with solar at same time? My solar mppt is maxed at 50amp and converter is 75amp. The battery I will use can handle that much charging current. But does it work this way? Also I grounded the converter into the common ground on the lynx distributor that also grounds the inverter, mppt and DC to dc converter(alternator) I think. They all then go to 1 bolted grounding to chassis. I have no idea why these are grounded to chassis but I did it per instructions. Did I do this right?

Attachments

• 20210820_173042.jpg
    20210820_173042.jpg
    832.3 KB · Views: 12

grizzzman

Some say "Why" and some say "Why not?"
Yes. Try and match the bulk charging(the best you can) between the MPPT and the Aims for the best results. Hmmm... Define the Aims "floating" please.

12VoltInstalls

Solar Addict
They all then go to 1 bolted grounding to chassis. I have no idea why these are grounded to chassis but I did it per instructions. Did I do this right?
Assuming you meant only the 12V it sounds right: The single chassis ‘ground’ insures a path to trip a breaker or fuse should a bad thing happen.

markhbrown

Yes. Try and match the bulk charging(the best you can) between the MPPT and the Aims for the best results. Hmmm... Define the Aims "floating" please.
I meant the solar, dc to dc and inverter are all off grid, no earth ground floating system. The xantrex inverter is gfci and I don't know how it's wired inside, but by introducing shore power into that system occasionally with the aims converter wired into the bus and battery I didn't know if that created any issues. I'm still new at all of this despite trying to read and watch as much as I can. Don't want to electrocute myself or someone touching the van.