diy solar

diy solar

Questions about stand alone converter

markhbrown

Here is my setup. I feel mostly confident about most of it. However, I've added an aims converter to charge my "floating" system when at campgrounds through the campground power pedestal. I will plug the converter into the shore power but the 12 volt side is permently wired into the main solar system I've made. Do I fuse the 12 volt side of the converter at the battery? It's a 75amp aims converter. I was going to tie a fuse onto the main 250amp fuse that feeds into the bus bar distributor. Can I run this on shore power and charge my lifepo4 batteries with solar at same time? My solar mppt is maxed at 50amp and converter is 75amp. The battery I will use can handle that much charging current. But does it work this way? Also I grounded the converter into the common ground on the lynx distributor that also grounds the inverter, mppt and DC to dc converter(alternator) I think. They all then go to 1 bolted grounding to chassis. I have no idea why these are grounded to chassis but I did it per instructions. Did I do this right?

Attachments

• 20210820_173042.jpg
    20210820_173042.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 13
Yes. Try and match the bulk charging(the best you can) between the MPPT and the Aims for the best results. Hmmm... Define the Aims "floating" please.

They all then go to 1 bolted grounding to chassis. I have no idea why these are grounded to chassis but I did it per instructions. Did I do this right?
Assuming you meant only the 12V it sounds right: The single chassis ‘ground’ insures a path to trip a breaker or fuse should a bad thing happen.

Yes. Try and match the bulk charging(the best you can) between the MPPT and the Aims for the best results. Hmmm... Define the Aims "floating" please.
I meant the solar, dc to dc and inverter are all off grid, no earth ground floating system. The xantrex inverter is gfci and I don't know how it's wired inside, but by introducing shore power into that system occasionally with the aims converter wired into the bus and battery I didn't know if that created any issues. I'm still new at all of this despite trying to read and watch as much as I can. Don't want to electrocute myself or someone touching the van.

Back